New mice with my old mouse

Go down

New mice with my old mouse Empty New mice with my old mouse

Post by elisew on Sun 11 Dec 2016, 10:25 pm

Ok- so after my 1 yr old mouses cage mate died, I decided to get her 2 new friends. They are currently living separate from her but today I decided to do a quick introduction. Well my old mouse started like getting very jumpy "pop Corning" like her heart was going a 1000 beats a minute. It seemed like she was super happy, could this be the case? When I put her back in her own cage she started itching a lot but only for a minute. I repeated everything and she was jumpy and itchy again. Any ideas? The new mice have the same bedding, huts, food, etc so it can be any of that.

elisew

Back to top Go down

New mice with my old mouse Empty Re: New mice with my old mouse

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 5:44 am

That popcorning is called sparking, and it means extreme happiness in a mouse! So I would go ahead and put her in with her new friends permanently. No need to put them together and separate again- it'll only cause problems. As for the itching, did you treat these new mice for mites? Any mouse that doesn't come from a breeder had them, so most likely they were transferred to your older mouse.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by elisew on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 9:29 am

Awesome yay! Thank you! As for the mites they are not treated- I put them in a separate cage to monitor if they had illness. If they had mites do you think it would transfer to my old mouse that quickly? She was with them for barely a minute

elisew

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 9:30 am

It could. But don't worry, mites are easily treatable and nothing big to worry about. You can find the article on this forum for mites treatment in the General Health section.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down