Breeders?

Go down

Breeders? Empty Breeders?

Post by Degare on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 1:04 am

I don't need to buy a new mouse now (I love the one I have, and more importantly; I've been strictly limited to "one" by my other half).  But of course, knowing that mice don't live more than a few years, I need to plan ahead.

I don't want to buy another mouse from a pet-store, but I will if that's my only option.
Finding a breeder with the help of google was...  less than helpful.

So - I thought I'd reach out my little tendrils here and see if there's any mouse-breeder in the USA, that either lives close-by (I live in Missouri), or is able to (safely) ship.

My requirements for what I'd be looking for is simple enough I think.
1. Must be female (actually, that's just prefered)
2. Must not have red/pink eyes
3. Must be "fancy mouse" body type (smaller)

Are there any breeders here, or that you know of - that I could add to my "list of people to look up" when the time comes and my little lady leaves me?
Degare
Degare

Artistic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Breeders? Empty Re: Breeders?

Post by Peachy on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 1:22 am

I tried to search on the AFRMA site, but there were no breeders in Missouri. Do you have a Facebook account? Maybe try joining one of the Facebook breeder mouse groups to see if anyone knows anyone near you.

Scorpio Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 2:37 am

Female mice are social and should live in groups, preferably in a group of three. For this reason, you might want to consider a male next time since you can only keep one mouse. Breeders ask a lot of questions and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they wouldn't want to sell you a single female to live alone.

I recently bought a mouse from a breeder and I found her on facebook. I searched for mousery/breeder and city/state with various combinations and finally found one. So if you're on Facebook, try searching there for a breeder.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 9:37 am

I agree with scaredy, If you want a single mouse go with a male, they will be MUCH happier and fond of you than a lone female. Unless you give her constant love and attenion, there is a chance that she could become depressed, which could lead to other health conditions such as OCD. If you scroll down the pictures section you will find pics of my past mouse Suzie, when her OCD was at its worst. You really don't want that to happen. I do know however that very rarley there is a doe that will not even tolerate other mice, in which case they should live alone with a human companion, but only if the mouse prefers.
Good luck with your quest for breeders! Also consider shelters too, they somtimes take in mice.

Last edited by EverythingAnimal on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammer)

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degare on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 6:07 pm

After showing this information to my other half, they said that I should go ahead and get another girl.

This time we went to Petsmart (which was a MUCH better experience than petco).
I found a pure-black female and she's in the cage with pumpkin as I write.
I named her Walnut.

Their introduction went well (and involved grooming).
I'll have to tame her up later after she's settled in.

Because of this however, I'll have to get them a larger tank - after my disability comes in for January.
Degare
Degare

Artistic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 6:23 pm

It's great that you got her a friend! However, you didn't do a quarantine, which is risky. She could be sick and whatever she might have would be transferred to Pumpkin, causing them both to get sick! Please remember to quarantine any future mice you get for at least 3-4 weeks, this means keeping them in a different cage away from your other mouse (or mice) for a while you monitor them for any illnesses they may have.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 6:58 pm

Just wanted to pop in and say hi, I'm from Missouri too Smile

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 7:19 pm

What tank do you have? If it's a 10 gallon, it can fit 1-3 females without issue. To late now, but remember it really is best to quarentine, like AMO said.

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 10:00 pm

Excellent, they should be happy together and you will get to enjoy watching them snuggle. The best cage for 2 mice is a 10gallon aquarium with a mesh lid with snap clips for safety. Petco often has dollar per gallon sales on aquariums but I don't think 10g tanks are too expensive anyway and then the lid is about $15.00 and the clips are under $5. So, at full price, everything should be under $40.00 and it will last forever (unlike cages).

The first time I introduced a new mouse, I just plopped her in with my other mice. I didn't know anything about quarantine. My intro didn't go so well but it all worked out in the end. Anyway, I'm glad they like each other!

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down