More Sneezing. Took a video. Please help.

Go down

More Sneezing. Took a video. Please help. Empty More Sneezing. Took a video. Please help.

Post by Plazmotech on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:46 am

My two mice are still sneezing. I got them from PetSmart on Friday (5 days ago) and I'm extremely worried because they're sneezing like crazy. They sleep a lot during the day, and are only active at night, which is probably like 6 hours long because I don't sleep a lot. They only come out like twice during the day and thats only for around 30 minutes. They've also been eating a bit less than the recommended on the Kaytee food I have. The bedding I have is the Kaytee Clean & Cozy which according to the bag is 99.9 dust-free. Here's a video of the sneezing:

They literally do this the whole time they're out and active.

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

More Sneezing. Took a video. Please help. Empty Re: More Sneezing. Took a video. Please help.

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 11:10 am

It could either be a URI or just box shock. Most likely it's box shock since they're new. It's only sneezing caused by the stress of a move. Give it two weeks: if they're still sneezing, then it's a URI, and they'll need to see a vet.

I would also recommend taking them off the Kaytee food. It's complete junk. Don't worry if they're eating less than recommended so long as they are eating, but I would really advise on getting some better food.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

More Sneezing. Took a video. Please help. Empty Re: More Sneezing. Took a video. Please help.

Post by Plazmotech on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 11:19 am

Box shock? Is that caused by stress? What are other symptoms? They also haven't been using their exercise wheel. I don't know why. Could that also be a symptom?

And what food brands would you recommend? Thanks!

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 11:39 am

Box shock is the result of stress, yes, and it's completely harmless. Not sure why your girls don't use the wheel. Perhaps they don't know how? Some mice just don't like it, but you may as well leave it in there as an option for them. It's most likely unrelated to box shock.

I would recommend Sunseed Vita conure food or Vitakraft. Those are the two main brands we recommend on here. Quite a few people also like Brown's Tropical Carnival Hamster and Gerbil food, but I advise against it. Too many artificial colors and the bags often come moldy. I feed my girls a mixture of Sunseed Vita Conure and Supreme Science Selective Rat lab blocks, but just the seed mix is fine. It's always better to do only a seed mix rather than only lab blocks, but a mix is good too so long as both are safe.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Plazmotech on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:06 pm

Why conure food? Do they also make mice/rat food?

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:11 pm

When I first got my mouse he wouldn't use his wheel. No idea why at all, even tried a couple of different types of wheels. Then one night, after several months, he just suddenly decided, yep, I'm gonna run on my wheel now!
I wouldn't worry too much about the wheel side of things.

I'm not much help with the other things, but the foods are chosen because they've got good ingredients and nutritional analysis for mice - based on experiences from our current members and those that were on the old forum (The Fun Mouse) I believe.

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 1:20 pm

These are the 2 most commonly recommended foods on this forum.
http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/sun-seed-sunscription-vita-prima-parakeet-formula

http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/food/brown-s-tropical-carnival-gourmet-hamster-gerbil-food-zid36-1877/cat-36-catid-600005

Though as Cinna pointed out, many are choosing to avoid Brown's due to moldy bags.

Here's the page where I grabbed the links from and there's also more info on what to look for in a food.
http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t15-mouse-diet

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 5:58 pm

We don't feed specific mouse/rat food here because it tends to be the bottom of the barrel for small animals and just isn't good for mice. Parrot seed mixes are much better.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Plazmotech on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 11:28 pm

guys. I picked one of them up and listened to her very closely. I can hear that rattling noise. I'm pretty sure she has a URI.

Plazmotech

Psychedelic

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 5:27 am

If you're very worried, just take her to a vet and get her checked out.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down