Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Cage Calculator
Find out how many mice will fit in your cage or tank.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Constant Fighting

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Constant Fighting

Post by stephlisa on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:37 am

I just wanted to check because I don't think this has been asked (sorry if it has!)...but are you completely certain that they are female and not male?

stephlisa
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius Worried
1st Place -- November 2016

View user profile http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Riikchu on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:46 pm

@stephlisa wrote:I just wanted to check because I don't think this has been asked (sorry if it has!)...but are you completely certain that they are female and not male?

Yes they are both female, I have checked multiple times and asked on this forum.
As well they have been together for 4 months now so If one was male then there would have been baby mice.
Riikchu
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sagittarius Artistic

View user profile http://geni-the-genie.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:44 pm

You, my friend, have some complicated females. The bins that you have then in around really big, like the equivalent of a 20 gallon tank for each of them. Sometimes all that space make mice crazy and territorial.

I understand not being able to get a 3rd mouse and/or having concerns that it would even help. So, my next suggestion would be trying to put them in a 10 gallon tank to force them to bond. I know it sounds counter intuitive but mice are happiest in small, cozy home. Unless they are really tame, then you can often give them more space. The other thing you can do in the meantime is work on taming them as much as possible.

I'm sorry your girls are giving you such a hard time! It can be confusing and stressful for mice to keep getting introduced, so wait ar least a week or 2 before trying again, just keep working with them individually.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Riikchu on Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:46 pm

@scaredymouse wrote:You, my friend, have some complicated females.  The bins that you have then in around really big, like the equivalent of a 20 gallon tank for each of them.  Sometimes all that space make mice crazy and territorial.

I understand not being able to get a 3rd mouse and/or having concerns that it would even help.  So, my next suggestion would be trying to put them in a 10 gallon tank to force them to bond.  I know it sounds counter intuitive but mice are happiest in small, cozy home.  Unless they are really tame, then you can often give them more space.  The other thing you can do in the meantime is work on taming them as much as possible.

I'm sorry your girls are giving you such a hard time!  It can be confusing and stressful for mice to keep getting introduced, so wait ar least a week or 2 before trying again, just keep working with them individually.

Thank you, I'll buy a 10 gallon tank/bin tomorrow ^^
Just a question, What do you mean by "Force them to bond"? Do you mean just put them together and prevent them from fighting? If they do start fighting i'm afraid they might shed blood again Sad
Also I'm having a lot of trouble with the taming, before this incident I had 1 of them close to being tame, she would come on my hand wouldn't mind if I watched them. However now they both run from me the second I walk into my room and no matter how long I wait with my hand in there cage or just trying to watch them they won't come out. I've tried for 30 minutes and she just stayed in the corner of the cage not moving from her hideout.
Riikchu
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sagittarius Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:57 pm

If that's the case, I think a smaller tank will be very helpful.  Too much space makes nice wild and flighty.  So when you get the tank, that will be your neutral territory.  Anything that goes in there needs to be washed thoroughly or new (cardboard toys/popsicle stick toys/etc).  Now this is the hard part, if they fight, do not separate until you see blood.... And in that case, remove the aggressor.  And we'll go from there.  I think in this situation, it would be worth it to try a few more times with this smaller tank.  But we'll cross that bridge later!

By forcing them to bond, I just mean that there is nowhere to run/hide.  They will often realize that they need to come to an understanding and work out their differences.

Also, if they don't come to you, you need to bring them to you.  You can gently trap them in a toilet paper tube, block both ends and take them somewhere else for a taking session....bathtub or even an empty box.  You can start with trust training, pick them up and put them down.  I corner them with my hand until they choose to step on and carry them a few inches away and put them down.  Super boring but very effective.  Then go from there.

Edit to add:  It sounds to me like you have bratty, territorial mice and you need to show them who's boss.  Mice are so smart and have been known to throw full tantrums to get what they want.  I think your girls will come around.  It's always best too start if gently with mice and offer them the chance to come to you but sometimes its not that easy.  Sometimes you need to show them that you are the alpha mouse and they will fall in line.  Good luck

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Riikchu on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:09 pm

@scaredymouse wrote:If that's the case, I think a smaller tank will be very helpful.  Too much space makes nice wild and flighty.  So when you get the tank, that will be your neutral territory.  Anything that goes in there needs to be washed thoroughly or new (cardboard toys/popsicle stick toys/etc).  Now this is the hard part, if they fight, do not separate until you see blood.... And in that case, remove the aggressor.  And we'll go from there.  I think in this situation, it would be worth it to try a few more times with this smaller tank.  But we'll cross that bridge later!

By forcing them to bond, I just mean that there is nowhere to run/hide.  They will often realize that they need to come to an understanding and work out their differences.

Also, if they don't come to you, you need to bring them to you.  You can gently trap them in a toilet paper tube, block both ends and take them somewhere else for a taking session....bathtub or even an empty box.  You can start with trust training, pick them up and put them down.  I corner them with my hand until they choose to step on and carry them a few inches away and put them down.  Super boring but very effective.  Then go from there.

Edit to add:  It sounds to me like you have bratty, territorial mice and you need to show them who's boss.  Mice are so smart and have been known to throw full tantrums to get what they want.  I think your girls will come around.  It's always best too start if gently with mice and offer them the chance to come to you but sometimes its not that easy.  Sometimes you need to show them that you are the alpha mouse and they will fall in line.  Good luck

Thank you so much! I'm getting the tank today x3
Riikchu
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sagittarius Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Riikchu on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:30 am

I'm not sure if I'm just over reacting, but it seems that one of the mice is acting weird.
When I place her outside of her cage she will climb me and is completely fine after I've tried to hoard her on my hands as you've said, however when she is in her cage she flees at about any movement from me and also makes squeaking noises.
Is this normal? I'm sorry for asking such silly questions but she was always the most confident one and before the incident she would never flee from me Sad
Riikchu
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sagittarius Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:41 am

They have had a lot of changes going on, I wouldn't worry about it. At least not yet. I have one mouse who acts terrified of me in the tank but as sweet as pie outside the tank. She's a brat though. I don't think she's scared of me, she just doesn't want to come out sometimes. Anyway, if that's the only weird things she's doing, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mice really hate these kinds of changes, so it's normal that they might behave differently for a while.

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Riikchu on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:06 pm

@scaredymouse wrote:They have had a lot of changes going on, I wouldn't worry about it.  At least not yet.  I have one mouse who acts terrified of me in the tank but as sweet as pie outside the tank.  She's a brat though.  I don't think she's scared of me, she just doesn't want to come out sometimes.  Anyway, if that's the only weird things she's doing, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mice really hate these kinds of changes, so it's normal that they might behave differently for a while.

Hello!
Over the past weeks I've been trying to show them back together right, and I would place them both in a smaller bin and put one on the outside and one in the inside so that they could both see each other and smell each other, they're cages are also close together so they can sort of smell the other one. I've placed them together twice now and the first time no fighting has went on, though they did start squeaking at each other. I've tried it again a few nights ago because when I put them in the small cage they both were trying to get to the other one and I thought they wanted to see each other. But no, they fought and I separated them once again Sad
I'm having no luck with them. The black one actually seems to like it better without her sister, she's actually been improving and I've moved her to a smaller cage thinking she was acting so bratty from the big space and she actually been nicer to me and she's been much less scared and she's been eating better. But her sister is still really scared and she's been much more sleepy and I don't know if she is getting depression. It's Oreo (Black one) that is starting the fights as well, she seems to really prefer it better alone. I don't know what to do with them anymore because one is better and one is worse and I can't get another mouse because of financial issues and just a lot of other reasons in general but I don't want to let my little mice become depressed. Would it be better if they just stayed separated? But if they do what about the Toriel? I'm so sorry but I just don't know what to do anymore and I'm scared to put them together because they Toriel keeps coming out of it with injuries Bad Day
Riikchu
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sagittarius Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:18 pm

I can give you my suggestion of how I stopped my two from fighting. It may not work, but it did for me when my two were chasing and squeeking.
I took everything out of their cage except their wheels. (They had 2). I left a tiny sitting station on each end. But they never fought over those. They had deep paper shreds and that was all. I left them that way over night. There was no fighting or squeeking, and I got some sleep.
The next morning when I got up to feed them, I put back in all their houses and climbing things. They were thrilled to have those things back. And hopped all over the place enjoying their things.
(Fingers crossed) They have not fought again.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Riikchu on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:24 pm

@essentiallysue wrote:I can give you my suggestion of how I stopped my two from fighting. It may not work, but it did for me when my two were chasing and squeeking.
I took everything out of their cage except their wheels. (They had 2). I left a tiny sitting station on each end. But they never fought over those. They had deep paper shreds and that was all. I left them that way over night. There was no fighting or squeeking, and I got some sleep.
The next morning when I got up to feed them, I put back in all their houses and climbing things. They were thrilled to have those things back. And hopped all over the place enjoying their things.
(Fingers crossed) They have not fought again.

Thank you for the idea!
And I hope your mice dont fight again Smile
Riikchu
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sagittarius Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:40 am

Has it been suggested that you get a third mouse? It would (ideally) work one of two ways: the third mouse helps your other two get along OR the third mouse gets on wonderfully with one of your current mice and then they don't have to be lonely.

If you want to go that route, I would keep everyone separated for three weeks. Totally quarantine type separate. Then introduce all three of them on neutral territory with no toys. If they're doing good after 30 minutes move them to a home with just the essentials.

It'It's what I would do. I don't know what else to suggest besides keep trying. Good luck!
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:48 am

@Peachy wrote:Has it been suggested that you get a third mouse?
I suggested that, this is what she replied: "I originally was going to have 3 girls, but they only had 2 and I can't get a third one anymore."

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:07 am

Oh, oops. Didn't have time to read the whole thread. lol

Lulie, Pearl, Dulcie, Dandy, Alex and Darcy
Dotty, Tulip, Ladybug, Vera and Verity
Mika, Milo, Atticus and Finnegan
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:58 am

Some mice just never get along. I'm not saying this is the case here, but thought I'd mention the possibility. It is a shame you can't get at least one more mouse for company for your girl who does sound like she is feeling lonely.

If it doesn't ever work out, and another mouse isn't an option, the best you can do is give them each tons of attention and things to do. Keep them busy like you would a lone male. But I really do hope that it doesn't have to come to that and that something works for them. Good luck.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Dreaming

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top