Is it possible for my mice to be carrying a disease?

Go down

Is it possible for my mice to be carrying a disease?  Empty Is it possible for my mice to be carrying a disease?

Post by MooMouse on Sat 18 Feb 2017, 12:53 pm

Hello everyone! So, I'd really like to bring home another male mouse or duo of girls and my local shelter has a few adorable babies up for adoption. However, I already have a trio of 3 girls and I'm worried about a possible disease that they could be carrying. Although they show no symptoms of any sort of disease and act like normal mice, as soon as I brought them home, my other male mouse Rogue got sick and never got better on his oral medicine. I don't know if this was just a coincidence. Rogue never had any contact with them besides his tank being a few feet away on the floor. I know that there is really no way to tell if they are carrying something but I guess that my question is if anyone has ever heard of this happening before? I would be devastated if I brought home another mouse just to have it die the same way that Rogue did.
MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

Back to top Go down

Is it possible for my mice to be carrying a disease?  Empty Re: Is it possible for my mice to be carrying a disease?

Post by CallaLily on Sat 18 Feb 2017, 2:13 pm

This is why quarantine is so so important. Even if the mice are never being introduced. http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t7-quarantine

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

Is it possible for my mice to be carrying a disease?  Empty Re: Is it possible for my mice to be carrying a disease?

Post by MooMouse on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 8:09 pm

@CallaLily wrote:This is why quarantine is so so important. Even if the mice are never being introduced. http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t7-quarantine

Thank you CallaLily, I was not aware of this.

So I am definitely bringing home two new girls tomorrow, and I am NOT planning on introducing them to my current trio. I have an area set up for them on the first floor of my home, while my current girls are located on the second floor. The room the current girls are in has a door that can be shut, but the other girls will not have a door to isolate them. Do you think that this is enough space between them? I will definitely wash my hands very well whenever I go from one area of the house to another, but I can't shower and change clothes every time I go from upstairs to downstairs. From your experience, are there any other precautions that I can take?
MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Wed 22 Feb 2017, 6:19 am

That sounds ok to me. I would at least change your shirt after handling the new group of mice, if possible.

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

Post by VgKing on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 7:39 am

First of all I'm sorry to here about what happened to Rogue. Secondly, I think it's possible for a vet to run a few tests on your mice to know if they have any infectious disease.

VgKing

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 8:58 am

@CallaLily wrote:That sounds ok to me.  I would at least change your shirt after handling the new group of mice, if possible.  

Thank you for all of the help, I can definitely do that.

@VgKing wrote:First of all I'm sorry to here about what happened to Rogue. Secondly, I think it's possible for a vet to run a few tests on your mice to know if they have any infectious disease.

Thank you VgKing. I thought about that, but I would rather save them the stress (and money) and just keep them quarantined for 3+ weeks. Besides, treating a mouse is probably even more difficult than treating a dog because they can have such a wide variety of diseases that we don't even know much about. I mean when I took Rogue to the vet after he got sick, the veterinarian said that it could be anything from a URI to a heart problem. I'm afraid that a test would not be able to catch everything. Thanks for the advice though Smile
MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down