mousey cold

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

mousey cold - Page 2 Empty Re: mousey cold

Post by Brynne on Thu 19 May 2016, 1:05 pm

Doxy and Baytril are the best combination of meds for serious respiratory infections.  Try calling other vets and impressing them with the fact that you are actually bothering to get care for A MOUSE.  Hopefully you can find someone to sell you just the meds without all of the exam fees. They can use the first doctor's notes and prescription in place of doing their own.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by boofandkara on Thu 19 May 2016, 7:30 pm

I already went and paid for them. The vet tech gave him the first dose of doxy, but he eluded the dose of baytril. She sent me home with it. Boof and I just had a very stressful time trying to get it in him. He escaped even my tightest grasp and of course it caused him a lot of respiratory stress. He won't take the syringe on his own. I tried putting his dose on a cheerio which of course didn't work - it's not like a syrup so it just slid off and I essentially wasted a dose. Also he hasn't touched the cheerio. He is pretty mad. I don't know what to do. I'm supposed to give him two separate medications twice a day for three weeks. This seems entirely impossible. I asked about alternatives, the vet tech wouldn't give me any. What the fudge am I going to do. So stressful.

boofandkara
User Removed

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu 19 May 2016, 8:24 pm

Usually when people have trouble medicating mice, it's usually that they're too afraid of squeezing them too hard to get them into a good grip for medication. Perhaps you're experiencing something similar? When I first got mice, I had to treat Rosie for a URI pretty much immediately, and I could hardly get a dose in her without spilling a ton and having her constantly squirm away. But nowadays, I just speed-medicated four mice with three different medicines in about five minutes. It gets easier with time.

One tip I have is not to be afraid to really grip him tight. Of course don't strangle him, but you really gotta grip these fellas tightly. Another tip is to use the burrito method. Wrap him up in a towel and pin him down that way, leaving only a tiny opening for his head. It allows to you immobilize the other parts of the body while giving you room to get in there with the syringe. Some mice will bite on it instinctively when it gets up in their face, but others will clamp their jaws shut, so nosing the syringe in from the side can be easier than trying to go in through the teeth. With especially little, squirmy mice, don't be afraid to try lots of different positions to see what works best. With all my mice, I can just hold them down on the table and get them dosed, but Little Cow is too slippery. It just didn't work. So I tried holding her up so she was facing the ceiling, sorta like a baby, and went in that way. It did the trick. And lastly, don't worry about upsetting them or making them mad. Of course try and make it as stress-free as possible, but with force medication, some stress is pretty much unavoidable to animals who aren't used to it. Heck, even animals who are used to it are still pretty hard. But when it comes to owning mice, you want them to be both happy and healthy, but they must be healthy first. I always make it my goal to be concerned with health first and happiness second. Like this, Mabel pretty much can't stand me due to eye flushings daily, but she hasn't torn her eye out in OCD scratching and her sisters keep her spirits up, so I'm content. They'll get upset, and it might set back taming (though most likely not), but he must be healthy in order to truly be happy.

There are a couple of videos we have on here of two ways to medicate mice. They're in the health section if you're interested. In all honesty, they never really worked for me, but I'm sure you're willing to try anything. You'll find something that works for you.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by boofandkara on Thu 19 May 2016, 8:32 pm

Thank you. I will keep trying. He is really calm right now so I'm gonna give it another go.

boofandkara
User Removed

Back to top Go down

Post by boofandkara on Thu 19 May 2016, 8:59 pm

I scruffed him, and he did a backwards flip to get out of it. I had so much skin I don't know how he possibly got away. He jumped so high. Any other grip I've tried, he bobs back and forth or squirms until he gets away, it is nearly impossible to contain him. He is like a wild tigger on steroids. It is causing him so much stress and he's itching more as a result.

boofandkara
User Removed

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu 19 May 2016, 9:07 pm

Try using a towel to wrap him up, and then cup him so he can't move. You've gotta grip him really tight.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by boofandkara on Thu 19 May 2016, 9:34 pm

I did and he squealed and that's when he started violently throwing himself back and forth until he rose from my grip like an undead warrior coming out of the grave. Boof is not getting his baytril tonight....we have tried many times and many ways and he is adamant. I will try again in the morning and then I will call the vet. Maybe they will administer the meds if I bring him by every day since they are so near my house. It will probably only cost a million dollars.

boofandkara
User Removed

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu 19 May 2016, 10:04 pm

The fact that he's tossing himself around so much seems to me like he feels slack in your grip and is exploring it as best he can to get out. Mice will always slip out of your grip if they feel you can. You have to get him tightly enough so that he literally cannot move.

Hopefully the vet will at least show you how to do it. It'll probably be more effective than explaining it via text. I'm sure he'd be willing to help you out with this. If you have time to take him down twice a day, you could do it, but I feel like the constant driving would make this much, much harder on him. Travel is extremely stressful for mice, and doing it twice a day wouldn't be good for him. If there's no other option, than do what you must, but keep at it. You'll get the hang of it.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by boofandkara on Fri 20 May 2016, 8:02 am

I tried again this morning, so traumatic for us both, I got as much skin as I could and he still was able to throw himself about, or else I had to use two hands to contain him and then there was no way to get the medicine. He sprayed pee everywhere. The one time I had about 15 seconds of him contained, I could not get him to open his mouth or hold his head still, I was just poking it at his face.

Last night he ate the cheerios I'd covered in baytril (with lots of it slipping off). So this morning I covered more with baytril and doxy, probably getting at least half of each dose on the food. But it totals five cheerios, I don't know if he'll eat that many, and he may save them for later, and if he hasn't eaten them by evening then I probably can't put his evening dose on cheerios....round and round we go. I wish I could just put the medicine in his water! Geeeez..

boofandkara
User Removed

Back to top Go down

Post by boofandkara on Thu 26 May 2016, 8:43 pm

Boof's been pretty good about eating bread and bagel bits with the medicine on top. The vet doesn't sound thrilled to hear this is the method of ingestion, but Boofaloo hasn't made a sound in days. Honestly it's a little sad for me. He is currently in the tub exploring toys and is completely silent beyond the occasional rustling. He used to chatter away like he was talking up a storm to me. So I know he's getting better and that's awesome. But suddenly he's not talking Sad I loved his talking.

boofandkara
User Removed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2