Cat and Mouse

Reply to topic

Go down

Cat and Mouse Empty Cat and Mouse

Post by Superman on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 3:18 pm

Hopefully this photo will post. I've been reading about how some people feel it's downright cruel to own a mouse when you have a cat in your home, that essentially it just terrorizes the mouse to death.

But I have a mouse, and I have a cat, and maybe it's just my cat and the fact that she's old (going on 13) but my cat has never once gone after my mouse. She watches him in his tank like tv, seems to be entertained by it. She has never once tried to get to the tank at all, just watches from a distance.

When I do take him out, she sometimes walks up and sits close, so she can watch, but she has never swatted at him or showed any real interest other than hey this tiny thing is moving.

I also want to say I am always extremely cautious and am ready to pick him up out of harms way in an instant just in case, but that hasn't happened once.

I'll be posting a pic, it's not the best but I just wanted to share.

Superman
Superman
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Cat and Mouse Empty Re: Cat and Mouse

Post by Superman on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 3:22 pm

Third attempt

Cat and Mouse Img_9214
Superman
Superman
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 3:47 pm

I do not recommend anyone attempt to introduce any of their mice to even the best behaved cat. It is almost guaranteed to end in disaster. Sorry. It's just in their nature. At the very least it is an extremely stressful situation for your mouse and in no way benefits either of them. If your cat decided she wanted the mouse, she could move much quicker than you could react which could very well result in tragedy. Why take that risk?

Now....keeping mice when you have cats is just fine. I have both but they will never meet beyond a cat occasionally spying them through the glass. It's safest to have your mice in a cat free room with a secure door, where you can shut the cats out when you pull the mice out and when you're not around.

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

Post by Superman on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 4:18 pm

I understand your concern 100-%, I do not allow my other two cats to even be in the same room with him because they much more so have the hunting instinct prevelant in them.

I want to make it clear I would not ever put my mouse in danger, and he has not been afraid of her, at least as far as I can tell honestly. when she slowly waddles up to sit and watch him he runs around my body and doesn't even seem to notice her. I watch her closely the entire time and see if her eyes begin to dilate or her any changes of movement (just adjusting her position) I cover him with my hand immediately. My cat is truly a gentle giant, she is a very large but extremely docile cat. And I did not name her a gentle giant, my vet did. I have bottle fed my cat since she was a kitten so I know her personality VERY well and am acutely aware of her behaviors.

I absolutely will not allow my other cats anywhere near the same vicinity as them because they are much more wild in their personalities, and I do not trust them or myself to be able to protect him properly around them.

That being said, I can see why my post and photo are rather controversial, and I do not wish to offend anyone and will remove it if I can figure out how.

I apologize, I can see why this is offensive and I meant no harm to my mouse or anyone else here
Superman
Superman
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu 03 Aug 2017, 5:22 pm

I'm not offended. I just wanted to make sure that you and anyone else reading understood that it is a very risky thing to do, with no benefit to the mouse. In the end, I can't tell you or anyone else what to do with your pets. I can only pass on what I've learned and my opinion. Best of luck. Smile

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down