I have some terrible news

Go down

I have some terrible news Empty I have some terrible news

Post by scaredymouse on Wed 25 May 2016, 11:11 am

So I've been doing introductions of lil baby Jellybean to my colony. I'm not going smooth, so I've spent a fair amount of time sitting in front of the tank and watching everyone carefully. Well, I discovered that my young little Annie (my cow mouse) is riddled with tumors. You might wonder how I could not notice that... It happened slowly, so I thought she got fat like everyone else. She just looked fat. When I get her out, I don't usually stare at them, I let them run around on my and they usually end up in my shirt and I don't see much of them at all. Even now that I know where they are, you still don't look at her and see tumors. But if you look at her just right, you can see that she's got on the front of her neck/top part of the chest, like where the thyroid would be. She's also got them where her lymph nodes are in the armpit area and groin. It's bad. The thing that alerted me anything even being wrong was that she was sleeping in a weird spot and looked like she was breathing a little fast. But it's intermittent, so that's why I haven't noticed it before now. It's looks like it's more of a exertional dyspnea type of thing (trouble breathing with activity). She's probably really tired. She doesn't appear to be in any pain, you know, still going about her mousey business. But I'm heartbroken. This isn't the like of cancer she lives with for a long time. And she's less than 6 months old. I cried my eyes out this morning. It's so sad, she's just a baby.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

I have some terrible news Empty Re: I have some terrible news

Post by CallaLily on Wed 25 May 2016, 11:21 am

I'm so sorry, Scaredy. I hope she can live comfortably for some time yet. hugs

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa on Wed 25 May 2016, 12:51 pm

So sad Sad poor Annie!

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Wed 25 May 2016, 12:52 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this scaredy Sad Poor little thing, she's so young.

When my mice are older, I give them frequent checks, specifically looking for tumours, but the younger ones you just don't expect to get cancer, do you? Sad the youngest I've had get a tumour was 10 months, and I thought that was young!

Cancer really saps your energy, so give her extra high-nutrient foods, and as many treats as she wants.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed 25 May 2016, 2:04 pm

Oh no, I'm so sorry! I saw you mentioned something was wrong with Annie in your other thread, but I could never imagine. Perhaps you could get pain medications for her to help her be more comfortable?

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Cat on Wed 25 May 2016, 2:19 pm

I'm so sorry! I know she has a good life. Sad

Pets: Bandit (cat), Yahtzee, Peanut, and Gingersnap (gerbils), Cotton (mouse), Calypso and Merlin (bettas), my 60 gallon fish tank, discus tank, shrimp tank, guppy tank and a new bearded dragon called Simber!
Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse on Wed 25 May 2016, 5:22 pm

So sorry for you and little Annie, scaredymouse. I've had a number of pet store (Petco, to be specific) mice develop tumors at an early age -- that's why my last five mice came from PetSmart and have been noticeably healthier. Other than my sweet late Tara, none of the girls have ever been overly keen on being handled but I made it a habit to feel each mouse over her entire body every time they were relocated for the weekly deep clean.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu 26 May 2016, 8:40 pm

I've already got pain medication for her. I'm not sure she needs it just yet but I assess it a few times a day to make sure I'm on top of it.

And she is actually a PETsMART mouse, so this comes as a big surprise. It's just not fair when kids get sick.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by peas on Thu 26 May 2016, 10:27 pm

I have had a few mice die really young.

I tend to look at it like they aren't such great keepers of time anyways. Just like we don't remember much of our lives between 0-4, i am not so sure mice would know the difference between living to be 2 years or living to be 6 months.

On that hand they aren't missing too much as far as they know. There's no trip they wanted to go on or book they wanted to write or feeling cheated about their potential early demise. They've ran, they've played, they've had treats and sparked and whether they die at 2 years or 6 months it's kind of all the same to them as far as they know.

So in that sense, i think it is far more important that they have happy comfortable lives rather than long ones.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu 26 May 2016, 11:28 pm

I agree. Mice live in the moment. My little Annie doesn't know about anything outside of her happy little tank. I doubt she loses any sleep thinking about how unfair this is. She has had a good life, which she is still very much enjoying at the moment. I scattered in some treats tonight and she ran around collecting all her favorites. And then took an enthusiastic run on the wheel. But I'm glad I have the luxury of being home to watch for any changes

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren on Fri 27 May 2016, 9:21 pm

I'm sorry to hear! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sun 29 May 2016, 7:14 pm

Im glad I was able to get my bully to behave, she is Annie's best friend. Anyway, she's has been snuggled up with Annie ever since I plopped her back in the tank. Yay.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by DVirginiana on Mon 30 May 2016, 1:07 am

That's horrible Sad It's always rough when an animal gets sick young
DVirginiana
DVirginiana

Back to top Go down