Topper or larger tank?

Go down

Topper or larger tank?

Post by jlk5262 on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 9:28 pm

Hi, all!

I'm new to this forum and just got back into owning mice after not owning any for a few years. I have a 10-gallon glass tank with a wire mesh screen secured to the top. I knew I would only be able to house 3 mice max. in that size tank, but when I got to the pet store, the mice were so freaking cute I ended up getting 5! They're all young and they seem fine for now, but I'm curious about long-term. I'm trying to decide if it would be better to get a wire topper for the tank or just get a larger tank (20 gallon?). Some of my thoughts so far:
If I buy new, a topper would end up being cheaper than a new tank and lid.
A wire topper would add more ventilation and provide some more enrichment because they'll be able to climb on the sides. However, I do own two cats (not declawed), so I have some concern that they may be able to swipe at the mice through the bars when I'm not looking. Also, a larger tank with a mesh lid will be more secure and I probably can't use a topper until they get larger for fear that they'll be able to squeeze through the bars. Lastly, the last time I had a mouse cage with wire bars, the mice would chew loudly on the bars at night, which was both annoying and made me worry if that was detrimental for their health.

Thanks for any advice that y'all can provide! It's much appreciated. A picture of my tank set-up is attached. More toys are on their way soon! By the way, all the mice are female in case anyone's curious.

tl;dr: Currently housing 5 young mice in a 10 gallon tank. Would a topper or larger tank be better for them?

jlk5262

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Topper or larger tank?

Post by jlk5262 on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 9:32 pm

Attachment didn't seem to work the first time...

jlk5262

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 9:48 pm

Definitely go for a larger tank! When we calculate the maximum number of mice that a cage can hold, we only take floor space into account, not height. This is because, though many mice will enjoy the extra height, a majority of their time tends to spent on one level or the other. The maximum number of mice in a 10 gallon is three. A topper doesn't change that.

A 20 gallon will also give you more space for toys. Toppers are tricky to decorate well.

~Alex & Verity, Jolie & Laurel~
~Milo~
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jlk5262 on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 9:49 pm

Thanks for your quick reply! I'll definitely get a 20 gallon soon!

jlk5262

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadamouse on Fri 06 Apr 2018, 10:25 pm

a larger tank is definitely better!!

Remembering: ~Milly~ ~Jazz~ ~Jem~ ~Oreo~

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member