Timothy hay and adding some nature

Go down

Timothy hay and adding some nature

Post by cuppaginger on Tue 01 May 2018, 1:03 am

Not sure if this is the right section to post this so I apologise in advance if it's not ❤️

We've been wanting to add a few more natural items to Desi's home since he's a rescue PEW. We want to make him feel more at home. I've looked for lists of safe woods but we're surrounded by pines which I know is a nono. Thankfully we have some dogwood trees and I was thinking about adding in some branches as natural bridges between levels. I want to bake it to make sure there are no mites, etc and from what I've seen it's done at 200° for an hour but wanted to double check that to make sure.

We picked up a nice little log house for him and it's his favorite nest so far. He piles up his paper bedding to cover the entrances and digs his way out and in. He's finally figured out his wheel and is able to run. He seemed so wary of it the first week that it's so nice to see him out and running.

Also we've been growing some Timothy hay for him to nibble or use as bedding. I was curious since it is grown at home if we should still bake that as well. If so what temp and time would you recommend?

Any help or tips for more natural additions would be great. We just want him happy and healthy since he can't be released back in the wild.
cuppaginger
cuppaginger

Scorpio Bookworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Timothy hay and adding some nature

Post by Jadamouse on Tue 01 May 2018, 11:03 pm

baking the timothy hay is probably a good idea, not sure at what temp though, you can also freeze natural stuff to kill off any mites or bugs.

you can use pretty much any fruit tree wood (from fruits that are safe for mice) like apple tree, pear tree, cherry tree or pear tree wood. i have a bunch of apple and pear trees in my garden so i like to use the wood from there, wash it in hot soapy water, let it dry fully and then freeze it for a week or so.

believe it or not solid pine actually is safe for mice, its the smell from the shavings when it is all chopped up that is not safe for mice. you will actually find that a lot of wooden pet store toys are made of pine. i use untreated pine jenga blocks in my cages and haven't had any problems whatsoever Smile

my mice absolutely love driftwood too, it is probably their favourite thing to climb and chew on. i wash and sanitize that too. if you live near any beaches it is definitely a good idea to find some funky weird shaped wood, honestly the weirder the shape the more they will like it haha Smile Smile

Remembering: ~Milly~ ~Jazz~ ~Jem~ ~Oreo~

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pattgal on Mon 28 May 2018, 9:13 am

I had some low grade timothy hay around. So I use it for the Mommas and they love making their nests in it. they have no interest in eating it but it sure looks cosy
pattgal
pattgal
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Creative

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Mon 28 May 2018, 10:02 am

I used to keep a good sized rock in my mouse tanks. Helps to wear down nails and my boy Daryl loved to pee on his. Laughing Just wash in hot soapy water first and rinse well. Dandelion leaves and flowers are a nice treat, if you can get them from an untreated area and away from any roads. I just gently rinse them off first.

@Jadamouse wrote:
believe it or not solid pine actually is safe for mice, its the smell from the shavings when it is all chopped up that is not safe for mice. you will actually find that a lot of wooden pet store toys are made of pine. i use untreated pine jenga blocks in my cages and haven't had any problems whatsoever Smile

Fyi, fresh cut pine would be just as concerning as most pine bedding. Your jenga blocks and commercial pine toys are actually dried and treated, so they’re usually fine for most mice. Kiln-dried pine bedding is generally considered safe for most small animals but some choose to skip wood-based bedding for mice altogether because a good amount of mice seem to react poorly to it.

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily
CallaLily

Aquarius Bookworm

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down