Cage Suggestion in the US?

Go down

Cage Suggestion in the US?

Post by susb8383c on Wed 26 Dec 2018, 8:03 am

I'm really getting frustrated that I can't find a suitable cage in the U.S.

I have Woodstock in a tank but he marks everything! I'd really like to get him in a cage for better ventilation. I did buy the Ferplast Savic but the cage part is really short, not big enough to hang much of a wheel (the wheel that comes with it is total junk).

Every time I find a great cage online with bar spacing smaller than 1/2 inch, it's only sold in the U.K.

I'm ok with making my own cage topper, but I still need a cage to start with. I'm not doing hardware cloth (which is galvanized with poisonous zinc), so I'm looking for a powder-coated cage.

If I can't find anything, I'll take my chances with a Martin's tank topper, but they are all 1/2 spacing.

Can't believe it's this hard to find a cage with small bars.

Anyone know of the perfect cage?

susb8383c
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cage Suggestion in the US?

Post by Peachy on Wed 26 Dec 2018, 9:44 pm

I ordered a couple from Amazon that have worked perfectly. I linked them in this thread.

https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t26-proper-housing#44

~Alex & Verity, Jolie & Laurel~
~Milo~
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by susb8383c on Thu 27 Dec 2018, 8:47 pm

Thanks.

The Ferplast cage is the one I already have, but the cage part is really short. The only way to fit a wheel in it is to leave the divider out (the wheel that comes with it is junk) and then you can't make the bedding deep enough to tunnel.

The other cage looks promising, but Holy Cow! $135.00 for a simple cage like that? One of the questions someone asked was why it's so expensive, and the answer was that it's imported from Belgium.

Doesn't anyone in the U.S. make a suitable mouse cage? Don't they know people have pet mice? Sheesh.

susb8383c
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Thu 27 Dec 2018, 11:00 pm

I’ve owned mice for nearly 10 years and these are the only suitable cages I’ve found... I know on the forum before this one US members usually either imported cages or made their own, so it’s been a while that there haven’t been good options.

The Ferplast one isn’t bad at all, I didn’t think, but I didn’t mind leaving the divider out. Maybe try a saucer wheel? I thought it was easier to fill it the way I wanted and utilize all the space using popsicle stick toys instead of the divider.
The other one is expensive but soooo worth it, IMO. And cheaper than when I ordered it! Laughing It has amazing access with the large door and is super spacious. I leave the shelf out of that one, too.

If you find something cheap and suitable let us know!!

~Alex & Verity, Jolie & Laurel~
~Milo~
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by susb8383c on Sun 30 Dec 2018, 11:55 am

I did see a Barney cage on eBay for about $150 including shipping. Bigger than the Mickey, 7mm spacing, but apparently there are gaps around the door and you have to take steps to block that.

But...I decided to leave Woodstock in a 10 gallon for now. I did buy a bunch of Habitrail tubes so that I can connect two 10 gallon tanks together; one that I'm going to completely fill with coconut coir so he can tunnel which I can see through the glass, and the other for a wheel, etc. I have mesh lids on both that have a trap door, so I'm going to connect the tubes through those openings after blocking the gaps. Sort of like this:
http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/51910-connecting-2-aquariums/

I realized it doesn't make sense to buy an enormous cage for him. He's my lone male and I have two females that are in a huge IKEA Detolf. If I get mice in the future, I'll have them in that most likely.

Here's my mouse condo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2NtQQtfbTA

susb8383c
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down