Questions about the Smell of my mouse cage... Please anwser ASAP :)

Go down

Questions about the Smell of my mouse cage... Please anwser ASAP :) Empty Questions about the Smell of my mouse cage... Please anwser ASAP :)

Post by mousymom191 on Mon 31 Dec 2018, 9:31 pm

Hi, I just got a trio of females yesterday, and while the smell is not unbearable, it is definitely noticeable. I've just put in a packet of carbon to soak up the smell... which seems to be working a bit. I 'm just wondering if there are any more safe options. Also, I just wanted to make sure that a smelly cage for females is normal, since I've been hearing so much about males, but not females. Lol, I'm very new to this!Smile

mousymom191
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Questions about the Smell of my mouse cage... Please anwser ASAP :) Empty Re: Questions about the Smell of my mouse cage... Please anwser ASAP :)

Post by chiroptera on Wed 02 Jan 2019, 1:46 am

@mouseymom191 Regardless of male or female, you're bound to have some smell, so it's nothing to worry about as far as the health of your mice! There are three animals living (and pottying) in a relatively small space, so there's bound to be smell!

Make sure the carbon packet is outside the cage and not accessible to the mice, as I don't think it's safe to be inside the cage.

I'm not sure what else to do to reduce the smell, other than cleaning the cage once a week- cleaning too much might encourage them to reclaim their territory with their scent more than usual, and of course not cleaning enough allows the scent to build up.

Cool mouse mom to: Clue, Peebee, Nellie, Oakley, Frida, Frankie, Mary, Shelley, Spider, Thyme, Caramel, Olive, + Beetle
Love remembering: Trouble, Yahtzee, Checkers, Mahjong, Pumpkin, Jay, Sid, Zola, Hazelnut, Popcorn, + Dragon
chiroptera
chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Questions about the Smell of my mouse cage... Please anwser ASAP :) Empty Re: Questions about the Smell of my mouse cage... Please anwser ASAP :)

Post by Peachy on Wed 02 Jan 2019, 9:33 am

Sometimes mice smell a bit more when they first come home. A change of diet, water, location, stress etc can all contribute to temporary extra stinking. Filtered water and a high quality diet can help combat this some, as well as regularly wiping down wheels and walls. Sometimes mice pick a potty spot where they pee, so cleaning this regularly may also help. Spot cleaning the cage (keep in mind it’s typically urine that smells and not poos) will help between full cleans.

Scorpio Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Post by mousymom191 on Wed 02 Jan 2019, 7:20 pm

@Peachy wrote:Sometimes mice smell a bit more when they first come home. A change of diet, water, location, stress etc can all contribute to temporary extra stinking. Filtered water and a high quality diet can help combat this some, as well as regularly wiping down wheels and walls. Sometimes mice pick a potty spot where they pee, so cleaning this regularly may also help. Spot cleaning the cage (keep in mind it’s typically urine that smells and not poos) will help between full cleans.
Thank you for clarifying! Planning on changing their water once a week and feeding them scrambled eggs, fruits, veggies, and of course their store-bought food... also one more question, how much should I be feeding them? I heard that they hoard their food so is once a day good? Smile

mousymom191
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Post by mousymom191 on Wed 02 Jan 2019, 7:25 pm

@chiroptera wrote:@mouseymom191 Regardless of male or female, you're bound to have some smell, so it's nothing to worry about as far as the health of your mice! There are three animals living (and pottying) in a relatively small space, so there's bound to be smell!

Make sure the carbon packet is outside the cage and not accessible to the mice, as I don't think it's safe to be inside the cage.

I'm not sure what else to do to reduce the smell, other than cleaning the cage once a week- cleaning too much might encourage them to reclaim their territory with their scent more than usual, and of course not cleaning enough allows the scent to build up.
Thank you for your advice! At first, I put the carbon into the cage... but then I realized that it probably wasn't safe so I moved it to the outside. I'm going to clean once a week and then sprinkle some old bedding on top to bring back smell. Also, I'll clean their wheels whenever they need it. Smile

mousymom191
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down