(Advice) Considering Breeding

Go down

(Advice) Considering Breeding  Empty (Advice) Considering Breeding

Post by Taylor3118 on Sat 19 Jan 2019, 1:08 pm

I've been researching mice for a while now and am very interested. I'm planning on getting 3 pet mice in March, but while researching mice, I fell in love with the idea of breeding. Genetics have always interested me and I have the time, space, and money for this. I live less than 15 minutes away from a veterinarian who works on mice. I'm not planning on anything big at all - maybe 1-2 litters a year, and I have a lot of friends that would be interested in mice, and can advertise the kittens at the animal hospital where I work at. I was just looking for some advice from experienced breeders (how they got started, etc.). Thanks!
Taylor3118
Taylor3118

Gemini Zen

Back to top Go down

(Advice) Considering Breeding  Empty Re: (Advice) Considering Breeding

Post by Roseheart on Fri 15 Feb 2019, 6:56 pm

You should have a tank that they give birth in or you can leave them in theirs but for breeding I just put my female's in the males cage then check for a plug once a day and you have to have two seperate cages for the male and female babies as they can breed at 4 weeks old
(Advice) Considering Breeding  20190230
And with a plug
(Advice) Considering Breeding  Plug1010
Roseheart
Roseheart
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius Mellow

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sun 17 Feb 2019, 7:59 am

In my opinion, if you haven't kept mice before, I would keep them as pets for a little while to familiarise yourself with good mouse keeping practise. Obviously if you work at an animal hospital you probably have a decent amount of experience with animals already, which is great, but I would want to feel confident and familiar with just keeping a species as a regular pet before attempting to do any breeding.

I've never bred myself, but mouse-breeders I've spoken to say it can be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. It can be wonderful and heartwarming and rewarding, but there can be real tragedies and heartbreak. It's not something to go into lightly, without thought or research (though it sounds like you're putting plenty of thought and research into this).

It's always best if you know about the genetic lines you're breeding from, particularly for avoiding illnesses. If you can meet and talk to breeders in your area and get advice and maybe your first breeding mice, I would think that was the safest way to start off.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sun 17 Feb 2019, 9:00 am

@Roseheart wrote:(Advice) Considering Breeding  20190230

Is this the male's cage? Unfortunately those habitrail cages are not suitable homes for any number of mice. The ventilation is poor for any animal, but mice have particularly delicate respiratory systems. Bad ventilation plus the ammonia in their pee makes mice more prone to respiratory illnesses. The other issue is that those cages do not provide enough space for mice. Please check out the cage calculator and see that those sizes are a MINUMUM. We recommend that even for a lone male, you should be aiming for at least enough space for 3 mice. Smaller than this doesn't provide enough room for all the toys, climbing opportunities and enrichment that mice need to be happy and healthy.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Roseheart on Sun 17 Feb 2019, 9:57 am

I will be moving him in summer as my 20 gallon is in storage so he won't be in there forever
Roseheart
Roseheart
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius Mellow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down