Wheel Question

Go down

Wheel Question Empty Wheel Question

Post by PeachesandPepper92918 on Tue 05 Feb 2019, 7:26 am

Okay, I just wanted to address something I noticed. Having owned hamsters for five years, I have always known that wire/mesh wheels are unsafe for them, because tiny toes can get caught and they can get something called bumble foot. But I noticed that a lot of people use them on here for their mice, so.... are they fine for mice? And if so, why are they okay for mice when they aren’t for other rodents?

Also, here’s a cute photo of Pepper, ‘cause why not.
Wheel Question Fa20b610

PeachesandPepper92918
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Wheel Question Empty Re: Wheel Question

Post by MouseLover on Tue 05 Feb 2019, 7:51 am

I've not used mesh wheels before, but I've heard that mice and hamsters have quite different feet, and so mice won't get bumblefoot from mesh wheels. Hamsters run with a flat foot, whereas mice like to cling onto things (hence they're much better climbers than hamsters). As mice cling, mesh wheels are particularly supposed to be good for groups of mice who like to run on the wheel at the same time... the other mice are less likely to get flung off if they have something to cling onto. You'll often see mice enjoying spinning upside down on mesh wheels lol. Barred wheels are definitely still a no-no, but plenty of people use mesh wheels with mice and i've not heard of anyone having problems with them.

I always use the solid plastic wheels, or the flying saucer types. But that's only because that's the ones I see in the pet shops near me.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by PeachesandPepper92918 on Tue 05 Feb 2019, 11:53 am

Oh, ok. That makes sense. Thank you Very Happy

PeachesandPepper92918
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down