Info on brindle & longhair?

Go down

Info on brindle & longhair? Empty Info on brindle & longhair?

Post by j.n379 on Fri 15 Feb 2019, 10:14 pm

So one of my new girls, when I got her, had pretty clear brindle stripes. They're getting more and more hard to see though, because she's growing long hair!
Is this a thing other people have seen? Do people breed for this on purpose?
My best guess in natural light, beyond what my phone can capture, is gold/blue brindle longhair. I also just saw a very interesting photo of Argenté. Aside from the eyes which are black, she does seem to have that variation in the under/over coat, or possibly more like a tabby cat in that each hair seems to have it's own gradient in addition to the striping.

If she's especially unique I want to ensure this phenotype doesn't disappear from the world, but even if it's a normal thing in other areas I'd still love to hear about how breeders encourage it in offspring. It looks like I can "import" mice into Canada from the US pretty easily (I'm right on the border anyways, and CBSA says there's no need for paperwork or licenses) so that increases the likelihood of me finding the right buck for her.

j.n379
j.n379

Back to top Go down

Info on brindle & longhair? Empty Re: Info on brindle & longhair?

Post by j.n379 on Sat 16 Feb 2019, 8:42 pm

Info on brindle & longhair? Img_2027
Above, fluffy growing in. Harsh light to try to get the longer hair to show up better. There's even longer guard hairs on her sister, but she doesn't have good striping (more of a gentle gradient gold to grey.)

Below, a few days earlier when she had more identifiable striping, and had a more average smooth coat.
Info on brindle & longhair? Img_2026
j.n379
j.n379

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sun 17 Feb 2019, 7:20 am

Brindles are known for their markings changing over time, particularly when the mouse is still developing/maturing. She is brindle and long-haired. It's a very pretty combination, but not rare enough that I would breed from her for that reason alone. Especially if you don't know the genetic background of the mouse, there are risks associated with breeding so it's something that should be taken very seriously.

She is a very pretty mouse indeed though Love

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by j.n379 on Sun 17 Feb 2019, 10:48 am

I'm glad to know she's not SO rare that I am left with all that responsibility!
j.n379
j.n379

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down