Could I/should I transform a rabbit hutch into an indoor mouse enclosure?

Go down

Could I/should I transform a rabbit hutch into an indoor mouse enclosure? Empty Could I/should I transform a rabbit hutch into an indoor mouse enclosure?

Post by Luc2176 on Sun 07 Apr 2019, 3:00 pm

I know I'm crazy (clinically so!). I just cannot stand the traditional cages and tanks. I want to make a VERY spacious enclosure of some kind, and I love the design of certain rabbit hutches.

Mice being the escape artists that they are, it would have to be modified quite a bit, I'm sure. Quite a bit! In fact, I am wondering, with enough time, dedication and attention to detail, if I could rig a kind of multi-level mouse condo. Slide-out trays would be ideal for ease of cleaning, though I'd probably need to make padlockable "mail slots" for them.

I don't have the space or funds to do this right now, but it's something enthralling to imagine and psuedo-plan Very Happy

Of course, wood is chewable - but if layered on the inside with chew-proof wire mesh, then thermal blankets, then cardboard and/or normal blankets and then bedding... Surely that would be secure. And heavenly.

I quite like building things, and I also hyperfocus on projects, so I would be thrilled to sink time and effort (and whatever $$ I can muster) into this idea! I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Luc2176
Luc2176

Back to top Go down

Could I/should I transform a rabbit hutch into an indoor mouse enclosure? Empty Re: Could I/should I transform a rabbit hutch into an indoor mouse enclosure?

Post by CallaLily on Mon 08 Apr 2019, 1:28 pm

I’m sure it is possible provided you take steps to ensure the mice cannot escape and can only access safe materials. Wood would need to be sealed to help prevent urine soaking in. Please keep in mind mice should not live entirely on wire flooring.

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down