Spaying/Neuter

Go down

Spaying/Neuter  Empty Spaying/Neuter

Post by oeythorsdottir on Tue 09 Apr 2019, 11:38 pm

Hey,
I just got three males today. I know it might be frowned upon but I got them at a store. They were in the same cage there and supposedly from the same litter. They are somewhere between 3-6 months old. This is just my first day with them and I understand they are just getting used to their new environment. Anyways, they occasionally will fight a bit and I've noticed one of them shaking its tail a lot. I just wanted to hear what other people have done in these situations ... and I have read in a few places that spaying/neutering them might be the way to go to avoid any fights. But I am also sceptical about that because they are very small. I hope this is the appropriate place to ask if anyone has any stories/opinions on spaying/neutering male mice.

Best regards,
Olof

oeythorsdottir

Back to top Go down

Spaying/Neuter  Empty Re: Spaying/Neuter

Post by Peachy on Wed 10 Apr 2019, 6:00 pm

Hello and welcome!! I hope you’re having a blast with your new pets.

Many of us get our mice from pet stores simply because we don’t have other options. We don’t think of this badly at all, but we do advocate doing your own research on any pets you wish to bring home BEFORE you bring them home... simply because of situations like this one.

Pet store employees often are misinformed about mouse care. Male mice from pet store lines (and even many well tracked breeder lines) should NEVER be housed together. They are so territorial that any other males in their homes are at risk of being seriously injured or killed. Neutering won’t help this, but will allow them to live with females without babies. Spaying females isn’t advised.

This thread is graphic but shows the potential and very likely results of housing mature males together.
http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t142-males-living-together-warning-graphic-photos

If I were you, I’d separate them each into their own space ASAP. It’s unfortunate, but in their best interest. If you want to be able to keep mice together, females would be better for you. But males are so fun and it’s very neat to see their different personalities, so definitely worth the extra work!

Scorpio Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum