having more than one male? neutering?

Go down

which mouse setup should I have?

1Male

2Female1neuteredmale

3neuteredmales

2neuteredmales1female

View results

having more than one male? neutering? Empty having more than one male? neutering?

Post by JiminBeret on Fri 28 Jun 2019, 12:38 pm

So I have heard that male mice can be more cuddly which I would love as I love cuddling my pets! However, Im worried a lone male would be sad and lonely..
What do people recommend? would people recommend getting 2 female mice and 1 neutered male? 3 neutered males?

Any and all advice is much appreciated. I have no plans so far on getting mice , I am trying to do lots of research first

Love Smile

JiminBeret

View user profile

Back to top Go down

having more than one male? neutering? Empty Re: having more than one male? neutering?

Post by Robin~ on Fri 28 Jun 2019, 1:17 pm

I personally would do just a single male. The neutering process on such a small animal is super super risky to the point where vets will refuse to do it. Unless you have a very very experienced vet I wouldn't do it. Just be sure you can spend lots of time with your boy (at least a few hours per day) and give him plenty of things to do (they like their cages packed) and he can still live a very happy life.

As another note, you cannot keep male mice together, even if they are neutered. They still have those fighting instincts, bits or no bits.
Robin~
Robin~
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sagittarius Cheerful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

having more than one male? neutering? Empty Re: having more than one male? neutering?

Post by chiroptera on Fri 28 Jun 2019, 8:18 pm

You shouldn't keep males together, as Robin said, they're still prone to fight.

However, a neutered male CAN be happily housed with females! Finding a vet that will do the neutering on such a small animal might be tricky, and sometimes the process is dangerous, so some don't recommend it. Make sure the vet you're going to has experience with small animals!

Though I would suggest that a lone male might bond with you better than one that has other females to bond with, since you'll be the only interaction he has.

Cool mouse mom to: Spider, Clue, Mahjong, Peebee, Nellie, Oakley, Frida, Frankie, Mary, Shelley, Thyme, Caramel, Olive, Popcorn, + Beetle
Love remembering: Trouble, Yahtzee, Checkers, Pumpkin, Jay, Sid, Zola, Hazelnut, + Dragon
chiroptera
chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Batty

View user profile https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sat 29 Jun 2019, 12:19 pm

What they said. Neutering can be risky, especially if you don’t have access to a very experienced (with mice) exotic veterinarian. But if you were to decide to go that route, a neutered male mouse should be housed with a group of females. Even neutered males are often extremely territorial with other males, so it is not recommended.

But a lone male can be just fine with a lot of activities and attention from you. This is what most here choose when it comes to housing bucks because the of the risks.

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily
CallaLily

Aquarius Bookworm

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down