having more than one male? neutering?

Go down

which mouse setup should I have?

1Male

2Female1neuteredmale

3neuteredmales

2neuteredmales1female

View results

having more than one male? neutering? Empty having more than one male? neutering?

Post by JiminBeret on Fri 28 Jun 2019, 12:38 pm

So I have heard that male mice can be more cuddly which I would love as I love cuddling my pets! However, Im worried a lone male would be sad and lonely..
What do people recommend? would people recommend getting 2 female mice and 1 neutered male? 3 neutered males?

Any and all advice is much appreciated. I have no plans so far on getting mice , I am trying to do lots of research first

Love Smile

JiminBeret

Back to top Go down

having more than one male? neutering? Empty Re: having more than one male? neutering?

Post by Robin~ on Fri 28 Jun 2019, 1:17 pm

I personally would do just a single male. The neutering process on such a small animal is super super risky to the point where vets will refuse to do it. Unless you have a very very experienced vet I wouldn't do it. Just be sure you can spend lots of time with your boy (at least a few hours per day) and give him plenty of things to do (they like their cages packed) and he can still live a very happy life.

As another note, you cannot keep male mice together, even if they are neutered. They still have those fighting instincts, bits or no bits.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Cheerful

Back to top Go down

having more than one male? neutering? Empty Re: having more than one male? neutering?

Post by chiroptera on Fri 28 Jun 2019, 8:18 pm

You shouldn't keep males together, as Robin said, they're still prone to fight.

However, a neutered male CAN be happily housed with females! Finding a vet that will do the neutering on such a small animal might be tricky, and sometimes the process is dangerous, so some don't recommend it. Make sure the vet you're going to has experience with small animals!

Though I would suggest that a lone male might bond with you better than one that has other females to bond with, since you'll be the only interaction he has.

Cool mouse mom to: Clue, Peebee, Nellie, Oakley, Frida, Frankie, Mary, Shelley, Spider, Thyme, Caramel, Olive, + Beetle
Love remembering: Trouble, Yahtzee, Checkers, Mahjong, Pumpkin, Jay, Sid, Zola, Hazelnut, Popcorn, + Dragon
chiroptera
chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sat 29 Jun 2019, 12:19 pm

What they said. Neutering can be risky, especially if you don’t have access to a very experienced (with mice) exotic veterinarian. But if you were to decide to go that route, a neutered male mouse should be housed with a group of females. Even neutered males are often extremely territorial with other males, so it is not recommended.

But a lone male can be just fine with a lot of activities and attention from you. This is what most here choose when it comes to housing bucks because the of the risks.

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

Post by Moth on Sat 27 Jul 2019, 10:12 pm

I have heard of people housing their males with female ASFs! They keep them company but can’t interbreed Smile one thing to note is that ASF have a longer lifespan than mice, so she’ll probably outlive the male.

My male has always done very well alone. But I do spend lots of time with him.

Moth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down