How I make bin cages with NO fancy tools!

Go down

How I make bin cages with NO fancy tools! Empty How I make bin cages with NO fancy tools!

Post by Animallover562 on Wed 24 Jul 2019, 10:53 pm

Hello everyone!
I thought I’d make a post about how I make all my bin cages with no experience with tools/basically not owning any tools. It also will not crack the plastic when done correctly!

Step one: mark out the space you want to cut out. For a 110 quart sterlite bin I marked out two 12 by 12 windows, this left a brace in the middle for stability while still providing a lot of ventilation! You can also just mark out one large hole.

Step two: cut out the holes. This is the part I figured out myself! All you need is a stovetop or lighter and a knife. (DISCLAIMER! Do this in a very well ventilated area, if you are younger please do this under adult supervision/have an adult do it for you. It’s also a good idea to wear nice thick gloves so you don’t accidentally burn yourself). Heat up the knife over the stovetop for a few seconds at a time and start cutting the plastic with it. The knife will melt the plastic like butter and leave you with clean lines! Be sure to clean off the knife every once and a while and be patient, it is pretty time consuming but it’s extremely easy to crack the plastic and it’s worth it in the long run..

Step three: smooth the edges. I did this with a strong nail file but you can also use sand paper or something similar

Step four: cut out your wire mesh. I got some basic 1/4 inch wire mesh at Home Depot in a roll. I am very lazy so I found out that yes, it is possible to cut this stuff with scissors but it’s not very efficient and may brake your scissors Laughing wire cutters are much more preferred (also wear thick gloves, it can be very pokey!). I cut mine out to be roughly 1-1.5 inches larger than the openings I cut out.

Step five: line up the mesh with the opening and mark a dot every 3-6 squares. Makes sure the mesh is secured with tape or something similar while doing this so you don’t move it and mess up the spacing!

Step six: repeat step two but only with a screwdriver this time! Heat up the screwdriver, set it on the dot and spin it around so it makes a perfect hole all the way through the plastic. This is also pretty time consuming but it won’t crack the plastic! Make sure the screwdrivers width it the same-or larger- than the width if the zip ties you’ll be using.

Step seven: line up the mesh once again and attach the zip ties to secure the mesh. Zip tiles are one of the best things to use when attaching wire to plastic, just make sure they are pulled right!

Step eight: snip the ends of the zip ties off.

Step nine (optional) line the perimeter of the mesh with duct tape to spruce up the cage and protect you from any pokey zip ties or wire.

I hope this can help someone! I’ve made 4 different bin cages with this method and it’s always worked very well for me, if anything was unclear or you have any questions let me know! Smile
Animallover562
Animallover562
Jr Member
Jr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

How I make bin cages with NO fancy tools! Empty Re: How I make bin cages with NO fancy tools!

Post by Peachy on Thu 25 Jul 2019, 12:12 pm

This is how I’ve made all my bin cages. A candle works too if you’d like to work outside. This is also how I practically sliced off the tip of my thumb. Be even more careful than you think you ought to be! Love bin cages but I don’t think I’ll ever make another. Laughing

Scorpio Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down