Converted vivarium cage?

Go down

Converted vivarium cage? Empty Converted vivarium cage?

Post by EllaGloss on Sun 18 Aug 2019, 4:53 pm

Hi-

I am struggling to find a cage I am happy with. I want to get some kind of tank/vivarium rather than a wire cage but one that opens from the front (rather than just the top). The exo-terra reptile cages but are the closest I’ve found but I have heard the mesh on the top is too small to hang things and they chew the front plastic. eg https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/exo-terra-natural-terrarium-large-%28online-only%29-7111172p--1

Would it be possible to convert a reptile vivarium (eg. viv exotic) by replacing the lid with a mesh top to improve ventilation? This would be an ideal. I’m not experienced in DIY so if anyone has any ideas as to how I would go about this and/or any suggestions as to where I could buy a similar front-opening glass cage suitable for mice.

Thanks in advance!

EllaGloss

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Converted vivarium cage? Empty Re: Converted vivarium cage?

Post by Robin~ on Sun 18 Aug 2019, 4:59 pm

That should be ok provided the lid is meshed. I mean, just meshing the lid provides the same ventilation as a regular old tank and those are a staple in mouse care, so i wouldn't see it as an issue. I know at least most cages like that here in the US come with mesh tops, some of which can come off entirely for easy access/cleaning.

As for chewing, my girls actually don't have any issues with chewing the cage itself, even though there are a few chewholds. As long as the tank is packed (if you need some examples let me know!) and you give a nice amount of playtime your mice should be pretty content.

My only qualm would be the price, but if you're willing to pay that I say go for it!
Robin~
Robin~

Sagittarius Cheerful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EllaGloss on Mon 19 Aug 2019, 4:26 am

@Robin~ wrote:That should be ok provided the lid is meshed. I mean, just meshing the lid provides the same ventilation as a regular old tank and those are a staple in mouse care, so i wouldn't see it as an issue. I know at least most cages like that here in the US come with mesh tops, some of which can come off entirely for easy access/cleaning.

As for chewing, my girls actually don't have any issues with chewing the cage itself, even though there are a few chewholds. As long as the tank is packed (if you need some examples let me know!) and you give a nice amount of playtime your mice should be pretty content.

My only qualm would be the price, but if you're willing to pay that I say go for it!

Thanks very much for the info! Do you have any idea how I could make a mesh top that was secure enough? Also, could you give an example of some of the meshed tank cages you described? I'm from the UK but I'm sure they sell some of the models here, too.

EllaGloss

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ on Mon 19 Aug 2019, 6:15 am

Typically in the US, if you get a normal tank you would get a lid like this along with some clips to hold it down:
https://www.chewy.com/exo-terra-aquarium-terrarium-screen/dp/191199?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Exo%20Terra&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjwkenqBRBgEiwA-bZVtrBW7KlYREDa91enrSC1rlBIwc7wCmTxcNYytGgdM6Q72-0lFyNBIxoCtn0QAvD_BwE

But, for terrariums, as I said, most come with a meshed top already.

Converted vivarium cage? 11-BE35-D6-884-C-4-AE0-8215-F6-D80-D61-F2-D9
image url
Robin~
Robin~

Sagittarius Cheerful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down