Odd Stories From an Aspiring Mouse Breeder

Go down

Odd Stories From an Aspiring Mouse Breeder Empty Odd Stories From an Aspiring Mouse Breeder

Post by MOMM on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 12:58 pm

My name is Teddy, and I am the co owner of a soon-to-be up and running mousery. I go to a school with a specialized Vet program, and work directly with both a CVT and a CVA. I will graduate with as a CVA.

My friend and I are required to do a SAEP which is an outside-of-school project to learn. We will be breeding mice. We have been studying about genetics, housing, litters, breeding, all that jazz, and will be starting the project most likely in January. The mice will be kept at our school.

I already have a bit of experience with breeding mice. I aquired two female mice early July (Jersey Girl & Little Miss Salem), and Jersey had babies July 12th. She had 6 babies, but unfortunately, only two survived (Gus & Avalon).

Jersey's litter is a bit of an odd case. I actually don't know how many babies she had, because her enclosure consisted of a tank with 3 levels (a large area with 2 lofts & a seperated area on top of that which they had access to) and a smaller area in ground level with a semi-transparent hide. My dad found 5 babies in the hide on ground floor, and when I got to his house (parents are divorced and I was on vacation. My mice lived with my dad.) I found two babies up in the seperated area on top, but didn't check and see if Jersey or Salem had took the babies up there, because I didn't want to disturb anyone. I assumed there were 7 babies, but later, when the two babies up top had dissapeared, and we found 6 in the bottom, I changed it to 6.

The babies got older without any fuss. Everything was fine. They were about 12ish days old when one of the runts died. There were about 4 healthy looking babies, and 2 runts. The next day, the other runt died. About two days later, another baby died. I was distraught. I was so sad that that was happening. I got some Pedialyte and started to paintbrush feed Pedialyte to the babies. The next day, another baby died. I kept giving Pedialyte to the last two babies every few hours when I was awake.

The two babies are doing great. Gus, who was dubbed 'my little water baby' because he loved drinking from a paintbrush (and I didn't know his sex), has been separated into another cage, while Avalon lives with her mom and nanny.

I really want to go through with this project because I'm planning on becoming an actual breeder when I graduate. I love animals, and I love caring for them. I love genetics and seeing what coats colors and types you can get. The possibilities are endless!! Mice are also my passion because they are the sweetest things! Even the mean ones. I know I'm not done researching, and I might be too young, but I will do my best. I know bad that things will happen. I'm going to cry. I'm going to want to give up. But it will be a lesson I have to learn. Everything happens for a reason. Everytime something bad happens, I will get stronger.

Any advice, tips, tricks, or facts would be greatly appreciated. If you guys don't think my friend and I will be able to do this, please explain why. You may have a good point, and I will appreciate it

Thank you.

MOMM

Back to top Go down