Cage Questions

Go down

Cage Questions Empty Cage Questions

Post by Catherine0236 on Tue 08 Oct 2019, 9:07 pm

Hello! I just join because my mouse Peaches is unexpectedly pregnant. I have two girls, and they are in a ben cage tat has the floor space of a 20 gallon long, the smell also builds up, so every few days I let the lid off for a few hours.I have an extra 20 gallon high, and a 10 gallon that i can move them to. I plan to keep my girls together unless there are issues with the babies. I'm not sure if the cage will be okay for babies to be in. I never meant for this to happen, the pet store sexed my mice wrong, and they mated in the short car ride home. I'm an experienced mouse keeper, but i've never had babies. Any tips or extra info would be welcomed. Thank you, and have a nice day.

Catherine0236

Back to top Go down

Cage Questions Empty Re: Cage Questions

Post by CallaLily on Wed 09 Oct 2019, 4:43 pm

Hello again. I left a link in your intro post for caring for preggo mice and babies. Please check that out when you have the time. Smile

Isn't your bin lid meshed to provide ventilation?  You could try adding side ventilation too, if the lid ventilation doesn’t seem to be enough.

From everything I’ve read, with pet shop mice from untracked lines it’s best to house mom alone to have and care for her babies. Then once the babes are weaned you can carefully introduce the other female back to mom and her daughters, providing a properly sized enclosure for the number of mice. Any male babies will need to be housed individually once weaned (4 weeks old).  The 10 (with proper lid) could make a great nursery tank for mom and babies.

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

Post by Catherine0236 on Fri 11 Oct 2019, 1:41 pm

@CallaLily wrote:Hello again. I left a link in your intro post for caring for preggo mice and babies. Please check that out when you have the time. Smile

Isn't your bin lid meshed to provide ventilation?  You could try adding side ventilation too, if the lid ventilation doesn’t seem to be enough.

From everything I’ve read, with pet shop mice from untracked lines it’s best to house mom alone to have and care for her babies. Then once the babes are weaned you can carefully introduce the other female back to mom and her daughters, providing a properly sized enclosure for the number of mice. Any male babies will need to be housed individually once weaned (4 weeks old).  The 10 (with proper lid) could make a great nursery tank for mom and babies.

Thank you, the night after I posted that she had the babies. My other mouse has been helping, and is only around the babies if mom is there for the most part. She'll watch them once mom gets too tried, and falls asleep. The cage has holes drilled into the top and sides. I've used it for many mice and always end up with some kind of smell. I might add mesh when I get the time.

Catherine0236

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down