HELP! Nursing mom treated with Ivermectin

Go down

HELP! Nursing mom treated with Ivermectin Empty HELP! Nursing mom treated with Ivermectin

Post by Honey102019 on Thu 05 Dec 2019, 12:44 am

I'm helping a teenage mouse owner with her new nursing mom and her litter. Her parents won't let her take the mice to a vet.

The babies are 10 days old. The mom has mites. Her owner tried one dose of Ivermectin on the mom (not the pups) without knowing the risk to the babies.

The mom licked the area where she applied the Ivermectin. I advised her to rinse the area where she applied it thoroughly hoping to remove whatever the mom didn't ingest.

Should the babies be removed for a day and let the mom pass the ingested Ivermectin or risk it and continue to the let the babies nurse?

I don't know which is worse. I'm leaning toward suggesting she separating them for 12 hours.

I plan to call my own vet to see what's best. But just in case she doesn't call back right away does anyone have a suggestion?
Honey102019
Honey102019
Jr Member
Jr Member

Fine

Back to top Go down

HELP! Nursing mom treated with Ivermectin Empty Re: HELP! Nursing mom treated with Ivermectin

Post by Peachy on Thu 05 Dec 2019, 6:59 am

Properly diluted and administrated (just one small drop), Ivermectin is said to be safe for nursing mothers AND for babies.

Check out this link, near the end there’s all the info about using ivermectin to treat mice.
http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t17-itching-hair-loss-and-parasites#33

Scorpio Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

HELP! Nursing mom treated with Ivermectin Empty Re: HELP! Nursing mom treated with Ivermectin

Post by Honey102019 on Fri 06 Dec 2019, 10:22 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was able to talk to my vet yesterday.

Her take was babies younger than 10 days may be at risk for seizures, brain damage, or death because their blood brain barrier doesn't fully develop until day 10.

Ivermectin can't cross the blood brain barrier, so older babies would be OK.

She also said that a dose of .2mg/kg shouldn't harm the babies.

However, she did stress that the owner should hold off on using Ivermectin until all the babies have stopped nursing.

Honey102019
Honey102019
Jr Member
Jr Member

Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sat 07 Dec 2019, 7:46 am

So glad your vet was familiar with the treatment! Many I’ve seen have not been. This treatment was pulled together and shared by the owner of the previous forum, who consulted with her doctor as well as lab findings, and it’s been being safely used within mousing communities for years. Of course always follow your own vet’s advice, but it’s been lifesaving info to have on hand a time or two. Smile

Hope mom and babies are doing well!

Scorpio Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down