Can a Male mouse that's One and a half years old still reproduce?

Go down

Can a Male mouse that's One and a half years old still reproduce? Empty Can a Male mouse that's One and a half years old still reproduce?

Post by starwolf11 on Thu 12 Dec 2019, 3:04 pm

I got my male mouse (one and a half years old) a lady friend from Petco a few days ago. I am wondering if it is still possible for a mouse his age to reproduce? Either way, I am happy Smile
starwolf11
starwolf11

Cloud 9

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpDIVT6jMpsLIRzWfIOXorA/videos?view_as=subscriber

Back to top Go down

Can a Male mouse that's One and a half years old still reproduce? Empty Re: Can a Male mouse that's One and a half years old still reproduce?

Post by Robin~ on Thu 12 Dec 2019, 3:18 pm

I don’t believe there’s any age where mice stop producing sperm, so I would separate ASAP. To keep a male and a female together you must neuter the male, no ifs ands or buts. If you can’t find a vet who will do the operation, I strongly suggest getting one or two other females for your current female to hang out with.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Can a Male mouse that's One and a half years old still reproduce? Empty Re: Can a Male mouse that's One and a half years old still reproduce?

Post by starwolf11 on Thu 12 Dec 2019, 4:21 pm

Well, that's good. I am actually trying to breed them and I was wondering if I still could XD. I've bred mice before (successfully) and they all went to good homes. The male I was asking about was actually bred by me Smile Thanks for helping out! I'm going to keep some female babies to be friends with their mom and I'll separate the males.
starwolf11
starwolf11

Cloud 9

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpDIVT6jMpsLIRzWfIOXorA/videos?view_as=subscriber

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ on Thu 12 Dec 2019, 6:12 pm

@starwolf11 wrote:Well, that's good. I am actually trying to breed them and I was wondering if I still could XD. I've bred mice before (successfully) and they all went to good homes. The male I was asking about was actually bred by me Smile Thanks for helping out! I'm going to keep some female babies to be friends with their mom and I'll separate the males.

Please do not breed your mice, especially since you do not have a clue as to the background of the pet shop mouse. Even if no abnormalities are present in her now, you don’t know if deformities are common in her line, if tumors and still-borns are common, as well as a multitude of other potential problems. It’s extremely unethical to breed a mouse that may/would cause their offspring to suffer. If you wish to breed, that’s a fine hobby, but please do your research (which often includes very thorough discussion with an experienced, ethical breeder) and breed pedigree mice.

I would still separate the male and female.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by starwolf11 on Thu 12 Dec 2019, 6:31 pm

I believe the way the mice are treated and raised plays a bigger role in successful breeding. I trust the pet store that I bought from and I have my own methods. I've bred them successfully before, but thank you for your input.
starwolf11
starwolf11

Cloud 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ on Thu 12 Dec 2019, 7:56 pm

You are certainly entitled to your own beliefs, but I at least urge you to take a look at this topic and the topics within it so you’re prepared for what’s to come Smile

http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t43-breeding-packet
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by starwolf11 on Thu 12 Dec 2019, 8:50 pm

Okay. From personal experience, I know that pet store mice can be just fine. The mouse that I bred (and is now one and a half years old) has never had any health problems or defects. He has lived longer than my first mice which I got from a breeder. If you give them the right care, the babies can be perfectly healthy. Very Happy  So I get that if you want to breed super "high quality" mice you can get them from a breeder, but if you're just doing it to have nice pets, then what I'm doing is fine. I am well aware of defects that can come from inbreeding, so I make sure I get different strains that are healthy and have good personalities. I have owned mice for several years now. The pet store I got my female from treats the mice very well. They are all clean, healthy, and energetic. It just depends on the store. Often times, defects do not show up until third generation inbreeding. I am not an official breeder and do not breed often. I NEVER breed mice that may be related.
starwolf11
starwolf11

Cloud 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down