Best Way to Clean Wheel?

Go down

Best Way to Clean Wheel? Empty Best Way to Clean Wheel?

Post by aestheticpink on Sat 28 Dec 2019, 1:49 am

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best way to scrub poop off of a mouse wheel that isn’t netted (it’s basically a silently spinner!)? I usually use paper towels and water but it sucks to do, anyone have any insight in how to do this in a better way? Juniper’s wheel just stinks so bad and is causing most of the smell from his cage.

aestheticpink

Back to top Go down

Best Way to Clean Wheel? Empty Tea tree oil and fc10

Post by Jlenches28 on Sat 28 Dec 2019, 12:30 pm

Hey there!
I used to have this same problem and the poop would get caked on there and stink so badly. I use dr bromers tea tree soap diluted with water and a little old tooth brush. You can soak it for a little bit and the smell will get better. I then found f10sc veterinarian disinfectant. The vet spray is wonderful! It’s a concentrate that you water down and put in a spray bottle. Super safe, doesn’t have a smell, but will deodorize and disinfect anything.

Jlenches28

Back to top Go down

Best Way to Clean Wheel? Empty Re: Best Way to Clean Wheel?

Post by Robin~ on Sat 28 Dec 2019, 1:24 pm

I just go at it in a sink with soap and water. You may have to use the abrasive side of the sponge to get some pieces off. White vinegar can also help with getting rid of the smell, but make sure it doesn’t smell too strong before putting it back in the cage (so air it out bit).

Overall, to prevent this from happening again, I suggest wiping down the wheel every day or two with an unscented baby wipe/warm water Smile
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop on Sat 28 Dec 2019, 2:24 pm

Vinegar and water is pretty good at getting poopie smell off of plastic, and you can spot-clean the wheel in place without the lathering and bubble residue you get wiping it down with soapy water.

I spot-cleaned areas that were mousie-soiled using vinegar water and toilet paper so I could flush the biological waste.  Please excuse me if I start to sound preachy now.  Soiled paper towel ends up in landfills, which are not equipped to treat biological waste.  If I DID use paper towel, I rinsed it out in the sink before throwing it away.  (Just trying to do my tiny part to reduce environmental contamination -- don't get me started on un-emptied, un-rinsed disposable diapers in landfills ... or people who come home from walking their dog and throw the plastic poopie bag in the trash!!)

For soaks and full tank washes, I used Dawn dish soap because it is safe for wildlife -- which includes pets!

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Oreoandfriends on Sun 29 Dec 2019, 12:32 pm

I used to soak mine in warm water for about 10 minutes, rinse it out, and scrub it with a water/vinegar mix. This whole process got old really fast so now I wipe down their wheels every other day with unscented baby wipes!
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera on Tue 31 Dec 2019, 1:56 am

Soaking, rather than trying to scrub, works WONDERS. A few minutes of soaking in even plain water is usually enough that wiping it off is completely effortless, in my experience!

Cool mouse mom to: Clue, Roan, Nellie, Oakley, Frankie, Bonny, Lovie, Mary, Morel, Bella, Turtle, + Spider
Love remembering: Trouble, Yahtzee, Checkers, Mahjong, Pumpkin, Peebee, Jay, Sid, Zola, Caramel, Hazelnut, Thyme, Olive, Popcorn, Shelley, Frida, Dragon, Beetle, + Pancake
chiroptera
chiroptera
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicolademee on Tue 31 Dec 2019, 2:00 am

I find using a toothbrush devoted to the purpose works, alongside a 5min soak in water and maybe a spritzing of 50-50 water and vinegar solution which does wonders to remove the pee smell

20gal tank: Hassan the half-betta and Panama, MiMi, and BoBo the kuhli gang

5gal tank: Mushu the rescue betta and Kermese the African dwarf frog

Random plastic containers: Honey and Francesca the Stagmoantis Limbata praying mantids

I also have a few spiders chilling in my house but I haven't named them so I don't quite consider them pets, rather roommates. Y'know?
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down