Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Cage Calculator
Find out how many mice will fit in your cage or tank.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

mouse has crawlers!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

mouse has crawlers!

Post by Blackcandyapple on Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:46 am

yuck yuck yuck I picked it up and there are little brown things moving in its fur how do I figure out what they are? p.s. this mouse is poorly

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: mouse has crawlers!

Post by scaredymouse on Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:30 am

It could be mites or lice.  However, mites usually don't move too much whereas lice tend to move around quite quickly.  The good news about lice is that mouse lice do not transfer to people.  You can treat both lice and mites with Ivermectin (Durvet).  It is a large bottle which will last forever.  This product is for cattle, so the dose for a mouse is going to be one drop of highly diluted medication.  Here's a link, you can get it on Amazon and you don't need to see a vet for this sort of thing:
https://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Ivermectin-Ermectin-Pour-Cattle/dp/B00JAL3AAW/ref=sr_1_5?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1468735732&sr=1-5&refinements=p_4%3ADurvet

You need to be careful diluting the ivermectin to achieve the proper dose for a mouse.  Miix 5 teaspoons of water with 1 teaspoon of the ivermectin.  Shake well.  Then place one drop between the shoulder blades of the mouse and then smear it down the spine.  Try to get them not to lick it off for about 10 minutes so the medicine can soak into the skin.  It's okay if they groom it off but it works better if it absorbs into the skin.  This is to be given every 7 days for three weeks.  Skip two weeks.  Then do another course of treatment, one drop between the shoulder blades every 7 days for three weeks.

The remaining medication can be stored at room temperature for 6 months, just be sure to shake it really well before using.  Good luck!

Last edited by scaredymouse on Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcandyapple on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:45 pm

is there any thing I can do to make her comfortable until the medicine gets here?

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:06 pm

not really Sad

I imagine she's itchy but as long as there aren't any sores, she'll be okay. I've had animals with terrible infestations before, but typically the vet doesn't treat the symptoms in these cases. Since mice are so small and fragile, medicating them orally can be challenging both physically with getting the medication into them and getting the right dose. Hopefully the medication comes soon! She should start feeling better within the first week of treatment.

If you let me know a little bit more, I can help you treat the environment too, to help get rid of the bugs. What kind of cage is she in? What kind of bedding are you using? And what kind of toys are in the cage and/or what has she come into contact with?

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcandyapple on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:45 pm

She's in a 40g breeder (been thinking of getting a cage with wires but I read they usually get out and also I usually have a fan on 24/7) when I first got her I used aspen bedding? the bag had previously been out in the shed so I'm afraid it could've been infested but I don't know for sure or how to check. I thought the aspen bedding was bothering their breathing so I removed it and just put down paper bags as bedding, but recently I put in a bit of carefresh which I unfortunately put in the same box as the aspen so it might've got crawlers now too (I'm gonna take it outta her cage)...how ever I've read that people spray ivermectin on the bedding to kill the mites there do you know anything about this? Um...she has some hanging beds, a wodden bendy bride, and a wooden house, and a flying saucer.

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:54 am

Best to just get rid of the aspen. Although it is technically "safe", mice can develop allergies to it, it's not soft on their little feets, and is more likely to carry mites that paper based bedding.

The ivermectin should kill all the bugs, and in part that is why we do two rounds of treatment- just to make sure we've got them all. Many of us do ivermectin treatment for all mice that come into our homes, regardless of whether or not they are symptomatic. So, I don't usually treat the environment since I've never actually seen mites or lice in my home. However, since you saw bugs, I would absolutely treat the environment as well in your case.

From now on, you should try to use only paper based bedding. You have a few options. You can spray the bedding with ivermectin and make sure it is completely dry before giving it to your mouse. You can also spray the wood items with ivermectin, and let those dry as well. Or you can bake the bedding to kill off any parasites that might be clinging to it. Bake at 200 for about 45 minutes. You can also bake the wood items the same way to kill any bugs. Then just give everything else a good wash in hot water. Or you could just throw away the bedding and toys and start fresh (which isn't really necessary). But like I said, the treatment alone should get rid of the bugs. It will kill all the bugs that are on her and all the ones that bite her. And the rest of them will die off during the next 6 weeks while she is being treated. And, the medicine continues to work in her system for some time after the treatment is complete.

For what it's worth, mites and lice are host specific. Meaning you wont get it. The bugs aren't interested in you. So that's cool, right?

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcandyapple on Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:15 pm

okay so i was checking tabby today and I didn't see anything, though I'm sure I saw some when I posted this, when he med arrives should I still treat her?

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:37 pm

Yes. If you saw them once, they're still there even if you can't see them. And if you made a mistake, and didn't see them, then it won't do her any harm to receive the treatment.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:50 pm

The horror of untreated parasites that get WAY out of control is not an experience that I want you to endure.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:21 am

It is a very safe medication. Most of use treat all mice that come into our house, regardless of whether or not they are showing any symptoms. Definitely treat the mice when the medication comes. Better safe than sorry.

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top