Frustrated

Go down

Frustrated Empty Frustrated

Post by Blackcandyapple on Wed 20 Jul 2016, 3:09 pm

okay so the doctor gave me doxy & baytil b/c he's not sure if it's pneumonia or a uri...I hopefully put the right amount of doxy on a cracker cause that's the only way I'd be able to administer it, she's too wiggly when I pick her up not to mention trying to fit it in her mouth, I'm having trouble getting the baytril out of the tube the put it in, and then I'm wondering if I can put it of food like the doxy...

I'm supposed to give her these meds twice a day for 2 weeks...

can you tell me about your first time doing this, what methods work best for you?

p.s. he dropped her, he was trying to pick her up by the scruff of her neck and she retaliated and she went flying...I picked her up and his was a bit shaky? how worried should i be, and my goodness he was trying to hear her breathing so he did the neck thing again and I had to look away cause her eyes were bulging jesus.

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Frustrated Empty Re: Frustrated

Post by CallaLily on Wed 20 Jul 2016, 3:19 pm

The videos here show you two ways to adminster meds. http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t25-medicating-a-mouse.  They're the most recommended way.

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Wed 20 Jul 2016, 3:29 pm

When I've had to give a mouse antibiotics, holding her by the scruff of the neck didn't work for me. I think I was too scared of hurting her. What did work was wrapping her up in a tea towel tightly, just with her little head poking out. I could then hold her tightly, without hurting her, and she couldn't move away. I was then able to put the syringe into her mouth to give the medicine. In my opinion this is the best way of medicating mice if you're not 100% comfortable or confident scruffing them. Did the vet give you a little syringe to give the medicine with?

When you put the doxy on the cracker, did she eat it all? I don't know about doxy, but baytril tastes horrible and bitter, and mice usually won't eat it Sad that's why the only good way of administering medicine to mice is with a syringe to the mouth. Even if they eat some of it, unless they eat 100% of it, there's no way to be sure they're getting the full dose they need.

Hope your mouse is okay now, sounds like she had a really rough day Sad

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu 21 Jul 2016, 8:57 am

Putting medicine on the food for her to eat will not help. You can't tell exactly how much she is getting, and it's extremely important that she gets the entire correct dosage.

What I do for giving medicine is I wrap the mouse tightly in a small towel and hold them down on the table. It allows me to move them however I want to get the medicine in the proper place (whether it be eye or mouth), and the mouse can't squirm while being burritoed.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Thu 21 Jul 2016, 9:18 am

Burritoed is a good way of putting it CinnamonPearl Laughing damn, now I've got a burrito craving...

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcandyapple on Thu 21 Jul 2016, 10:56 am

damn I've been putting it on food because that was the easiest way, I mean I know how much I put on it because I measured it out...but I'll have to give the table/burrito thing a try

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu 21 Jul 2016, 11:25 am

Don't worry, you'll get better at medicating with time. When I first got mice, I had to deal with a URI in Rosie pretty much immediately and could barely get it done. But now it's easy as pie. When I was dealing with the tapeworm incident, I could speed-medicate four girls with 2-3 different drugs for each in under ten minutes. 

Another thing to consider is what the best way to medicate each mouse is. With all my current girls, burrito-ing them and pinning them on the table was the easiest way. However, Little Cow was just too small and squirmy, and it couldn't be done that way. So I had to burrito her and then hold her in my hands on her back as if I were medicating a parrot. It was the only thing that worked. Odds are pinning on the table will work fine, but you may have to experiment to find the best way to do it for your girl.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcandyapple on Fri 22 Jul 2016, 2:05 pm

how long did it take y'all to notice a difference in your mice? It hasn't been long only 2 days but she's still making sneezing noises

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by peas on Fri 22 Jul 2016, 2:36 pm

I mostly give my mice their oral medicines in their treats.

I have found it's really not worth all the fuss and struggle with squirming mice, when i can just put it on a treat and they gobble it up quick enough. With Baytril or Prednisolone the only two medications i have given i just measure out a very tiny bit more to account for spillage.

It's more dangerous and giving the correct dosage is obviously better but some people aren't comfortable pinning down their mice. And some mice refuse to take medicine unless you are holding them down and forcing them to take it, which seems dangerous too if both the mouse and person isn't sure what they are doing.

Baytril should start to help a mouse within 1-4 days. If you don't see any improvement or the mouse is getting worse after 4 days you need to call the vet again.

Is she making less sneezing noises? Less frequently? They might not just go away totally right away but have they improved?

How sure are you about how much medicine has been given? Do you make sure they eat all the food you put the medicine on?

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Fri 22 Jul 2016, 6:18 pm

I have to disagree with Peas here and really speak against medicating mice by using treats. It's extremely important that mice get the correct dosage, and with treat medicating, you just can't do that. Plus, all it does is delay the inevitable of you learning how to force-medicate a mouse when you may really need to. Like, if you have a mouse with cancer who needs to take pain meds or have to give a mouse a medicine that tastes bad. It's not safe and I can't advocate it. It'll take some practice to learn the best way to force medicate, but don't give up. It absolutely can be done, it just takes practice, and you'll get better at it the more you do it. Treat medicating is just pushing back what you'll ultimately have to do.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down