Unbelievable

Go down

Unbelievable  Empty Unbelievable

Post by Blackcandyapple on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 11:28 pm

The vet didn't give me enough baytril, and now I can't give her her second dose, it didn't even last a week.

Will she be alright until I can get a refill, will they charge me? =/

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Unbelievable  Empty Re: Unbelievable

Post by lupus_corde on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 3:18 am

If you concerned it is always best to pop back in to the vets, maybe call them and see if they will charge you?

My mice: Luna, Eclipse and Galaxy
lupus_corde
lupus_corde
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sunshine

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 7:38 am

I usually ask for a bit extra medicine when I go to the vets, because it's so easy to accidentally waste a bit, so if they give you the exact amount you need you could easily end up with not enough. Do you think that's what could have happened for you?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcandyapple on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 11:28 am

she said she'd refill it (didn't ask if I'd be charged...) it might of been the heat that evaporated it? of course I might've over done it a bit at times...learning curve I suppose

Also how do I treat her for the days she missed (which so far was just last night and this morning)

Blackcandyapple
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by peas on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 1:04 pm

Every vet i have ever been to has given me atleast enough for 3 full courses of therapy.    Dispensing baytril costs them a certain amount where they don't save money by going under, atleast that's what was explained to me.  I still always make sure i ask them to give me enough so i don't have to run back.

You may want to ask the vet to show you what the proper amount it and how to measure it in the syringe.  For the longest time, maybe a year, i was giving my mice DOUBLE what they were supposed to get because the vet didn't properly show me how to measure.   They just pointed to the syringe and said  "there"  but they didn't mention the little cone at the bottom was supposed to be empty!

If you have been closing the lid, it has not evaporated that quickly.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 4:18 pm

The cone at the bottom doesn't have to be empty, because when you push it down all the way, the cone will remain filled. Thus, only the amount of medicine that was within the syringe gets distributed to the mouse. Plus, I don't even know how one would empty out the cone without slamming the syringe against a table or something.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 5:26 pm

The doses for mice are such tiny amounts that it's very easy to lose multiple doses just from spilling a tiny drop here and another there.  I know the first few times I was sent home with baytril for Daryl I lost at least one full dose each time that way. If you explain to your vet, they should sell you a little extra to make up for it. And remind them again the next time meds are prescribed, to save yourself a trip.

@peas wrote:Every vet i have ever been to has given me atleast enough for 3 full courses of therapy.    Dispensing baytril costs them a certain amount where they don't save money by going under, atleast that's what was explained to me.

Mine always dispenses the exact amount needed, unless it's mentioned you may need extra to cover spillage.  Or if the medicine can't be sold that way, like when Daryl was prescribed antibiotic eye ointment and I had to buy the whole tube (which was really tiny but in the mouse world, huge).

@Blackcandyapple wrote:
Also how do I treat her for the days she missed (which so far was just last night and this morning)

Your vet should advise you on that but typically you just continue on with the next dose as usual.

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 12:58 pm

The vet I used for my mice several years ago did the same thing. I was appalled that the antibiotics ran out halfway through! She charged me again for "more," even though it was really just the rest of what I thought I was buying in the first place!

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down