Thutty URI

Go down

Thutty URI Empty Thutty URI

Post by peas on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 11:34 am

So now Thutty has a URI.  

I got her on baytril quickly.   I am not as worried, as this is her 3rd URI in 7 months and 20 hours after having her first dose she seems very energetic and isn't making noises anymore.  

The nice thing about Thutty being sick, is she loves baytril.  Loves it.   I would consider giving her some baytril as her last meal in the future she likes it that much.

Nutty seems good too, and is as wheel crazy as ever so i am not too worried that it spread from tank to tank or anything.  Thutty being sick isn't anything out of the ordinary but to be safe they each have their own little mouse stations with their own sets of cardboard and bedding.  

One thing i feel like i have learned from this, is that an energetic mouse can still be a sick mouse.  Wormy was sparking and climbing and jumping pretty much like normal before i noticed she was sick.  I kind of just assumed she had to be fine since she was happy and zooming around.  
  I am going to start keeping a closer eye out for health issues.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Thutty URI Empty Re: Thutty URI

Post by CallaLily on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 12:08 pm

I'm glad the medicine is helping Thutty. Some mice just seem to have constant illnesses, no matter how well we care for them. Sad Her liking the meds is nice though. Makes it so much easier! I hope she makes a full recovery. Please keep us updated.

That's the other thing about mice. Being prey animals they go to great lengths to hide illness/weakness.

CallaLily

No Mood

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 3:20 pm

Yeah, it's probably the same infection going into and out of remission. I don't know what works for other people's mice, but mine have had success with two things:

After the course of antibiotics was up, I gave them probiotics every day. Nathanial was old and had chronic on again/off again URI. When I fed him plain organic yoghurt every day, his URI went away and stayed away! He gained a lot of weight back and became vibrant again to live out the last several months of his life.

Colloidal silver (silver hydrosol, nanosilver, it has many names) given after the antibiotics were done helped two does. One was very old and the other was middle-aged. It seemed to stop them from needing to go back on antibiotics every few months. This was about six years ago. Since then, I've read that offering CS right along with the antibiotics is a help and not a hindrance. But do your own research, of course.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 9:59 pm

When I had my rattle girls, Cleo got several respiratory infections in her life, but Brandy never had any. So I do believe some rodents are more prone to illnesses. I sure miss those girls.

That is so cute that Thutty loves baytril. Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by peas on Sat 06 Aug 2016, 2:52 pm

Just back from the vet.

A few days went by and the infection wasn't getting any better and maybe was slightly worse so we headed to the vet this morning. I got him to give us Doxycycline to go with the Baytril.

The Doxycycline is apple juice flavoured. Lucky enough, Thutmouse III, didn't blink at the new taste and gobbled it down. The Baytril, is strawberry flavoured, they did not have plain, so i am not sure how that will play. I imagine the strawberry can't hide all the yummy baytril taste. Cookie

Thutty does seem to be prone to illness of sorts.
She has had an eye issue from day one that isn't too bad but it's always half closed at random times.

It's funny in a way, as she was by far the strongest of the mice. The other two, wouldn't even really fight back when she bullied them. (Nutty would beat up Wormy so it's not like Nutty was passive) But yes, they wouldn't even put up an resistance to Thutty's attacks, they'd just flee in terror even when she was really pinning them down and trying to chomp.

Kind of odd i guess, you'd think the strongest mouse would be the least prone to getting sick. I am not even sure what makes her the strongest mouse, Nutty and Wormy were way more athletic, faster and there wasn't really a size difference.

Well, new medicine. I've never had to go to Doxycycline before usually baytril was enough. Hopefully Thutty recovers and Nutty doesn't get sick.

I also got a dog on antibiotics right now. 6 times a day i am dispensing antibiotics geez.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Sat 06 Aug 2016, 8:52 pm

Hopefully that combo of meds will do the trick. Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down