Can Anyone Help A New Owner Distinguish Genders!?

Go down

Can Anyone Help A New Owner Distinguish Genders!?

Post by Unironical on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 5:19 pm

Yesterday, I bought my first pair of fancy mice, I asked for one male and female, but they fighting when they come in contact. Would it be because they aren't used to each other's scents, or do male and female mice also fight, I read somewhere male mice fight, sometimes even to the death to claim dominance and I really think they sold me to males.. Can anyone help??

Unironical

Back to top Go down

Re: Can Anyone Help A New Owner Distinguish Genders!?

Post by CallaLily on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 5:44 pm

Are you trying for babies??  Because that's what you'll end up with.  Not something to get into lightly, especially with your very first mice!  Please read through all of the articles in this section: http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/f17-genetics-breeding.  There's a thread there on sexing mice too.

If you're still not sure, try to get clear pictures of their bums to post here so we can try to help.  In the meantime, separate them now please.

Also here are some links to general mouse care and info.
Environment
Health
General

Last edited by CallaLily on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more links)

Gerbils: Oghren & Merin / Jeffrey, Geoffrey, & Jeffri /
Hamlet & Horatio / Emrys, Cream, & Hershey / 
Bill & Frances   Hearts  Hamster: Daydream
CallaLily

Aquarius Spooky

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 9:00 pm

Males have their genitals and anus much further apart than females do, and when relaxed will have visible testicles and scrotum. Female mice have visible nipples (they're very small and will just look like little dots where there is no fur) while males do not.

As for why they would fight, mice fight for many reasons, such as for dominance or simply because they do not like another mouse.

Why did you ask for a male and a female? Like CallaLily said, that's a surefire way to get babies, as mice reproduce quickly and aggressively. If you keep them alone together you will get many many many many babies. If you are trying for babies, that's not a good idea for a first time mouse owner. It's also a bad idea to breed two mice whose backgrounds you don't know, especially if they are from a pet store and not yet tame. Pet store mice are usually skittish and badly inbred, so if you breed them you are most likely going to end up with baby mice that will have short lifespans as well as their parents' bad temperament. Not to mention that you will then be responsible for finding homes for all of those babies.

As CallaLily said, please separate them ASAP.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 9:53 pm

I'm with everyone else. Getting a boy and a girl and keeping them together is a terrible mistake, especially for a novice owner. Separate them immediately. If you need to know their sexes, post pictures of their genitalia here and we can sex them for you. The best way to do it is put them (one at a time) into a glass jar and take photos from the bottom.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andorrici on Mon 24 Oct 2016, 2:36 pm

Lots, and lots, and lots, and lots, of babies is what's gonna happen soon Sad

Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Worried

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon 24 Oct 2016, 3:00 pm

I agree with everyone else. They need to be separated to prevent pregnancy and if they are males, they will kill each other if left together. The only mice that should live together are females

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down