Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Neutering Question

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Neutering Question

Post by MouseLover on Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:38 pm

I've heard of quite a lot of people in the UK who have gotten their bucks neutered - and they've gone on to live happy lives with a group of lady mice.

I also know of someone whose buck died during the surgery - and they could hardly forgive themselves for putting him through the surgery.

And to me, that's the entirety of the pros and cons right there. It would be lovely for Henry to know the company of his own kind, but are the risks worth it? I would want to know how many times the vet had done the procedure before, and how experienced he/she is at putting mice under anesthetic - as this is what usually goes wrong.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by despereaux on Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:48 pm

Overall, neutering is a pretty low risk and non-invasive. Since mice are so small, I would be most worried about the anesthesia especially if you aren't certain how old he is. The older an animal is, the more likely they are to be unable to handle anesthesia so it would be best to neuter sooner rather than later. But then again, you don't want to go ahead and get him neutered and have your plans to live in that specific housing fall through and have all that risk be for naught.

All that being said, we did once neuter a sugar glider at school and the little guy did just fine. A bit bigger than a mouse, but still pretty comparable. If you do persue getting him neutered I would consider finding a vet who can do laser surgery, which is what we used for the sugar glider. It cauterizes as it cuts, so it's good for animals prone to self-mutilation as there shouldn't be a need for any stitches.

Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:58 pm

That's a good suggestion, Despereaux! I didn't even consider laser surgery. Right now I'm waiting for the vet to call back. I also know there's an exotic animal hospital somewhere up the island so if my vet isn't up to par, I could call them and ask. Again, I'm not going ahead with any plans until December 15, and if I end up getting deferred to the regular decision pool, it'll be a definite no since I won't hear back until late March and Henry will be a year old by then.

And of course, if I can manage to get permission for two tanks at the school, it won't be an issue at all. ^.^

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unicorn on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:40 pm

Anybody know whether neutering reduces the odor of male mice? I currently live with my parents (I know, at my age- long story) and my mother complains about the smell. I think a bit of stink from Flynn now and then is worth it but good lord the way she talks you'd think he reeks to high heaven constantly. Hmmph! If it would reduce his, erm, natural male pungency I might consider it (if I could find a worthy vet) but if not I don't want to risk the anesthetic.
Unicorn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:49 pm

According to this article, smell may or may not decrease. No guarantee. Sounds like it depends on the mouse.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Trying to reduce smell is not a good enough reason to risk a mouse's life.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Unicorn on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:36 pm

Well then I'm not risking it just for a chance it'll do that- he can stay his stinky self! Razz I am paranoid about him being put under, I don't know if I trust the vet to do it. He's so very eensy. I thought my dwarf hammie was such a tiny creature, and I mean he is, but the other day I had him in one hand and Flynn in the other and Hodag's still about twice the weight of the mouse!
Unicorn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Wishful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top