Nanny now acting aggressively towards humans?

Go down

Nanny now acting aggressively towards humans?

Post by newchance360 on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 1:29 am

I had a recent rescue give birth, she has ten kits. When I saw the pear shape I knew I needed to get her set up.
I put one of her cagemates (doe) in with her in a new tank to hopefully act as nanny. It has been perfect, except that now nanny is acting aggressively towards humans. She was a bit shy but never aggressive and would take food from us. Now the kits are 6 days old and she is tail thumping aggressively. I offered her a snack and she came up but then struck out very fast and bit. I thought perhaps I smelled different to make this reaction happen. However I did it again this time scrubbing my hands extremely well with unscented antibacterial and rinsing in long, hot water to remove any soap. Then I rubbed my hands in their bedding. I offered her a treat. She came closer a few times then would run away tail thumping like crazy. There is no one tail shake and then strike.
The last time I offered her cookie she came up again as if to take the treat and she came in swift and bit again. Hard enough to hurt, not hard enough to draw blood. I had my husband try and she did the same thing.
The kits dam is fine and will still take cookies from me. She hides once and awhile in her corner but generally comes up and takes the cookie.
I'm worried that I have an amazing nanny for the kits, but that she will rub off her new aggressive behavior on the young, little, mold-able minds. I also don't want the dam to start acting like her thinking that the nanny knows more than her.
Should I remove the nanny at this early of a time in the kits life? I also don't want to make things too hard for the dam or cause her to go into a depression.
What is the most humane, reasonable thing to do here while still protecting the future of the kits as happy, friendly.

Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you!
D

newchance360

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nanny now acting aggressively towards humans?

Post by EverythingAnimal on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 6:24 am

Many cases, nannies aren't necessary at all, and can actually do more harm than good if they don't know what to with the pups. You can still do taming sessions with the nanny while she's in there, or take her out for a bathtub session if you want to make sure not to stress the mother. I'd say since the mom still has the pups so she's not alone, it would be safe to take the nanny out, but then again I have never bred before, so I'd wait for someone else to chime in.

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 8:59 pm

Not that I want to hijack the tread, but I'm also curious and wanted to refresh the topic. Anyone else have thoughts?

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sat 05 Nov 2016, 5:34 am

I'd remove the nanny, too. Babies will definitely pick up on skittish behaviors from adults. Mom will be fine without a helper! Thumbs Up
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat 05 Nov 2016, 8:20 am

I'm with everyone else! Remove the nanny and put her with some other adult girls so she doesn't get depressed about it. Then you can work on taming her.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by newchance360 on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 12:26 pm

Thank you all very much for the advice! Sorry so late in response but things got hectic around here with busy schedules.
I have removed Betty (nanny) and am slowly working on getting her to trust me.
The odd thing that happened after is that Veronica (mom) is now a bit more skittish. She and I had a great trust even while Betty was in there with her.
I'm assuming and hoping that this is just because she is frazzled with all of the work and upkeep for 10 kits. I'm already smitten with a few of the kits. It's going to be hard to let them go to their new families.
There is a little grey girl with some tan/brown mixed in. She is such a sweety pie. Might have to keep her Smile
Again thank you all so much for the advice!
D

newchance360

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down