my hamster won the costume contest at our vet's office

View previous topic View next topic Go down

my hamster won the costume contest at our vet's office

Post by scaredymouse on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:53 pm

I just have to take a minute to brag that my dearly departed hammie, Lucy, won a costume contest at our vet's office.  She was the only small animal finalist and was up against dogs and cats but I got the people from my hamster group to vote for her and she won by a landslide (lol). I won a basket of goodies that I get to pick up next week!

Many of you have seen this picture already, but this was the costume that won.  It's extra special because I had to dream up and make the costume myself.  I wanted to make sure it was safe, comfortable, and not restrictive.  And most of all, not stressful for her.  But as you can see, she didn't mind it at all.  It's so loose that she can basically just step out of it when she walks away.

My new dwarf hammie, Sprout, has the temperament for this sort of thing, so I think I might try to make a new costume for next Halloween for this hammie.  Any suggestions?  It has to be really basic, lightweight and with nothing around the neck or head.  I was thinking a ladybug or a bumblebee, so far, for next year Smile

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: my hamster won the costume contest at our vet's office

Post by Peachy on Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:26 pm

Yay! Confetti A ladybug hamster would be cuuuute!!

Boys: Mika, Milo, and Wild Thing the Wild Mouse
Becky's Girls: Soong, Dotty, Tulip, Ladybug, and Petunia
Lulie's girls: Lulie, Pearl, Cora, Dulcie, and Dandy
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:47 pm

This is so adorable, I love it Smile how on earth did you get her to wear it? how does it go on? I'm intrigued...

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:50 pm

I feel like a magician revealing secrets! So, there are little straps under the spider legs that go under her arms that attach very loosely with Velcro. So loosely that I velcroed it before putting it on. I slipped the whole thing over her head while dangling a treat in her face. When I got it where I wanted it, I set the treat down so she didn't move. Then picture time!! After she finished the treat, she took a few steps forward and left the costume behind and she was free! I'm sure its rare that a hamster would allow such a thing but Lucy was pretty special.

Did my description make sense?

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andorrici on Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:50 am

@scaredymouse wrote:I feel like a magician revealing secrets!  So, there are little straps under the spider legs that go under her arms that attach very loosely with Velcro.  So loosely that I velcroed it before putting it on.  I slipped the whole thing over her head while dangling a treat in her face.  When I got it where I wanted it, I set the treat down so she didn't move.  Then picture time!!  After she finished the treat, she took a few steps forward and left the costume behind and she was free!  I'm sure its rare that a hamster would allow such a thing but Lucy was pretty special.

Did my description make sense?

Woah, your hamster is named Lucy? Does your name happen to be Abigail...?

Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Worried

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:58 am

Soooo cute!  Congrats!

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse on Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:53 am

Awww, sweet Lucy! She was the most patient and even-tempered ham, considering all the get-ups she was staged in: as long as there was food, all was well Laughing !

For Sprout, a ladybug sounds perfect Love .

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:39 pm

No, my name isn't Abigail Smile

Mesa, yeah, most of my hams just shove food in their mouths but Lucy would sit there and slowly, carefully chew everything. I have videos of her just sitting there for 5 minutes eating a bowl of food. Such a foodie. I had so much time to mess around with outfits and props Smile

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:47 pm

Thanks for the explanation haha, it made sense Smile would love to make a costume for Archie, but I'm not that talented at crafts haha.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top