Peanut has had babies! - I am still new to mice in genereal - i need help!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Peanut has had babies! - I am still new to mice in genereal - i need help!

Post by timez on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 5:35 am

Hi,

I have a pet mouse who i thought was male (but was not sure).

I have gone to clean the cage today and found her igloo filled to the top with bedding (which was unusual because its normally just a 'floor' normally)...

I thought maybe she was just scared more than usual for some reason and started to gentlly remove bedding because i thought Peanut was stuck in there!

I lifted a peice of bedding and found a baby mouse (She must have had them last night)

i immediatlly replaced all the bedding and put the top back on the igloo and placed it back in the cage

Im new to mice in general and although i am currentlly reading what to do when a mouse gives birth - I still need some help - i feel overwhelmed with information and i could really do with some advice.

(I hope by me doing what i did didnt disturb her too much - i dont think she saw what happend - and when she came out to check what was going on she was already back in her cage - so with any luck she wont do anything mad.

Timez

timez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Peanut has had babies! - I am still new to mice in genereal - i need help!

Post by MouseLover on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 6:13 am

I've not had mouse babies before, so I can't offer advice. I'm sure someone will be along to help soon. For now, just disturb Peanut as little as you can, because if she feels unsafe she is more likely to cannibalise her babies. Was it just the one baby?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by timez on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 6:38 am

Yeah thats what im doing at the moment - just leaving her to it - i was just about to also do another taming session with her as well - guess thats off the table for now then?

And that i saw yes - but her nest is to packed with bedding its anyones guess how many are in there...

The second i noticed a baby i just immediatlly put everything back and returned the igloo to her cage - so ive seen one but may be more.

Timez

timez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 12:21 pm

Read all of these links. I unfortunately don't have too much advice besides that, as I've never dealt with babies before, but many of our members used to be breeders and will certainly help. Leave the babies alone for now, but you'll want to start handling them every day starting at day three to ensure that they're tame, proper pets who like humans. You'll want to get a count when you first handle them, and you'll need to sex all of them so you can know when to separate the boys. I would also start preparing for any boys you have- start gathering 10gal tanks with mesh lids, as you'll need one for each boy once they hit four weeks of age. Read through all of these and follow their advice. Best of luck.

http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t41-caring-for-babies-birth-through-weaning

http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t43-housing-for-mothers-with-babies

http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t11-sexing-mice

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by timez on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 5:42 pm

yeah already on the tanks for boys - unfortantlly though theres no way im going to be able to afford glass ones (like aquariums) all i have is those plastic bins that are the size of 10 gallons.

how likely is it they will chew through it even when they are older? it seems pretty thick to me...

I'm also going to need one to transfer mum and the girls to as well - as those bars will become a problem before not too long - when can i move her and babies to one - don't want any getting out as said earlier.

also i got some eggs today for her so i am cooking her scrambled eggs in a minute as she is nursing.

also as a side note - little worried she will be able to get water - ive not seen her use the water bottle as of yet - so ive been leaving her a water bowl - but took that out now in case a baby finds its way into it somehow.

Timez

timez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 6:14 pm

The likelihood of them chewing out will be down to the type of plastic. Bored mice are also more likely to chew out, so lots of toys and interaction with you. Maybe when the boys move out, they could go in another room? I wonder if boys might be more likely to try and escape if they smell girls around? Not sure about that, just a suggestion.

She knows where the water is, so I'm sure she'll get some when she needs it. Good luck, keep us updated Very Happy

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by timez on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 6:17 pm

i think they would have a hard time chewing out of it - but with mice who knows haha.

What I will do is keep an eye on the boxes and see if i notice anything getting thinner in places.

and good idea about putting the boys in another room! ill give that a try.

and yes I will gladly keep you updated Smile

timez

timez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 6:29 pm

Have you tried looking on craigslist? Oftentimes you can find used ten gallon tanks for very cheap on there. There are usually plenty of people trying to get rid of a bunch. It might be safer than plastic bins, as I do think mice can chew out of them, but I don't have any experience with bin cages so wait for a confirmation on that one.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 7:41 pm

You can relax about the, "she'll kill her babies because I disturbed her." That wouldn't be the reason even if she did.

You can move the entire nest into a new tank. If you are very nervous, wait two or three days. Don't leave it longer than that. It's best to start handling babies as soon as possible anyway. When you have the new tank ready, wait for the mother to be out of the nest. Take her out and put her in a different room with toys or treats. Then pick up the babies, count them, look them over to check their general condition. Move their nest box into the new habitat and set it up the same way with the babies tucked safely inside.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by timez on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 4:52 am

oh right ok good because that was my worry Smile

looks like b&q today for some wire mesh and will move mum and babies into a new tank / bin with no bars to escape from!

then at 4 weeks to the day move any males into their own individal ones - I will update you all later Smile

Thanks again for all this advice - i really was at a loss and now i feel like i almost know what to do - i dont know what id do without this forum.

timez

timez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mouseketeers on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 6:42 am

I have moved babies under a day old with no problems. But I also have fantastic doe's. If you are not comfortable moving them straight away and there is no way your doe can escape the cage herself then leaving them for a little while will be ok. They shouldn't start moving out of the nest for at least a week, closer to 10 days +.

They are much more resilient than we give them credit for and usually have a pretty hard core maternal instinct. They will go about doing what they need to do to get the job done. With zero help from up.

As Brynne said handling them young is always advised, especially if you don't know your mouse. I have had does that due to life issues have produced litters than were never handled, yet produced some of the friendliest pet quality mice I have had. Whilst they are still pink a minute is long enough, as they start to colour up you can handle them for longer.
The biggest tip I can pass on, sex them young! Day 9-11 is when I find nipples start showing on mine. When I first started, sexing was the hardest part for me ( especially considering I bred rex / texel coats, so much fluff! ). Even now I will sex them young and in a bigger litter take photos of them individually next to a the letter B or G ( for boy or girl xD ) so I can refer back to it when doing the final gender check at weaning.

I read that you were going to cook up some egg for her for some added protein. I may be in the minority here but I would always recommend any diet change should be done slowly over a period of time.

I am looking forward to the updates!
Mouseketeers
Sr Member
Sr Member

Relaxed

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/mymouseketeers/

Back to top Go down

Post by timez on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 5:14 am

im still too scared to look in case peanut has a fit over it - she still seemed scared during our taming sessions.

we are now at 48 hours since I saw a baby (as of 11 am today)

im so 50 / 50 - i really want to get a count and health check but also worried about mum getting a hump on over it lol.

Chances are I will have a look today (Thinking of letting mum have a play in a plastic bin in another room while I see whats going on)

Just worried because everywhere says wait 3 days - but you all say i don't have to.

well 2 days is sort of in the middle so unless i change my mind ill try get mum out the cage in a minute and try see whats happining.

(and when you said that i made sure i only put 1 or 2 tiny tiny peices of the scrambled egg in her food bowl - the rest of what i made her is in the fridge - so thank you for that - ill introduce it slowly Smile

this was on TFM - "Please note that babies should not be handled and the nest should not be disturbed until they are 3 days old (at least). The mother needs security and should be left alone"

so i just dont know?

Timez

timez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mouseketeers on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 7:08 am

Smile Don't forget to take a few deep breaths and smile. What is done is done. There is not much you can do from here on out to help her or her babies through this. I would recommend waiting just one more day, mainly for your peace of mind. An extra 24 hours isn't too long to wait. She knows what to do.

Unless I have to I always leave my girls alone for the first 2-4 days. Mainly because there isn't much for me to do with them before then anyways. With brand new mums I even keep them in a spare room out of the way for the first few days. The chances of them being concerned enough to eat their own young is very low. But I would rather remove all blame from my mind.

Mothers are much more likely to eat/abandon a litter or even just one or two pinkies because there is something wrong with them, not because of outside influences.
Mouseketeers
Sr Member
Sr Member

Relaxed

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/mymouseketeers/

Back to top Go down

Post by timez on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 8:33 am

she does come out of the nest more often now - and shes started the bar biting up again (I would imagine because she isnt getting her run about now - as didnt want to disturb her) -

i think what ill do is - open her cage in the bathtub like normal and if she comes out on her own ill see if i can entice her into a different hide and put that in a play area and make sure when i count them im out of her sight -

and ill take every precation including rubbing my hands in her bedding so i smell like her when i hold them.

i think today will just be a quick count and make sure everyones ok - then all back again - then do longer ones as they get older and mum is more used to it all.

also I dont know how my posts are coming accross (probablly panicked haha) - in reality - even though this wasnt planned - im really happy theres babies - i must be mad haha - but as we all know - mice are incredibbly sweet animals when they are adults even - so the babies are just awwww Smile

I cant even take photos for you all yet Sad - i cant find the one phone with a working camera on it! such bad timing to loose it
timez

timez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by timez on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 8:33 pm

Well that was a no go tonight.

she didn't want to come out of her hide so I didn't make her.

Ill try again tomorrow (which will be at least 72 hours at that point Smile

timez

timez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next