Rats?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rats?

Post by Andorrici on Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:52 pm

I'm sorry, this is three posts in a row :0
BUUT! I need to know something. When my mice sadly pass away, my parents suggested me getting a gerbil or a rat instead. Is there a large difference between what a rat needs and a mouse needs? Are rats easier to train, more affectionate, etc?

Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Worried

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rats?

Post by CinnamonPearl on Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:24 pm

I don't know much about rats at all, so I can't help too much. I know rats and mice have very different needs though. For example, rats need bigger cages, more protein, and they can't be kept in glass tanks. I also know that male rats can live together fine. But that's all I know!

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:35 pm

Big difference. Though they look similar, they have very different needs and personalities. Rats are easier to train, and easier to cuddle than a mouse. They need the company of another rat regardless of if they are male or female, so you can't only get one rat. Rats cannot live in tanks, you'd have to buy a nice big expensive barred cage. Different diet too, you can't feed them the same thing mice eat. There's a lot of differences, I recommend you check out Ratforum.com for lots of helpful info. Smile

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:16 am

technically i don't have rats yet because i'm planning on getting a trio of males after christmas, but i can say they are totally different from mice. my group of mice aren't the most affectionate towards me, but from what i can tell, rats are way more outwardly loving and social with you. it's also hugely important you get more then one rat because no matter how much time you spend with just one, nothing compares to the company of another rat friend.

here's a list of videos that have been helping me along so far. she has some really great information in it and some awesome cage tours on her youtube page. Smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IKJkXGrzs&index=2&list=PLemoiETlH_TfeEhC0ON1NI4cplDsXsKwy

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top