lots of nipping while introducing females

Go down

lots of nipping while introducing females

Post by jess32247 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:10 am

it's been a slow time coming, but i've finally gotten a chance to start introducing my trio of girls to my other trio of girls. Smile i know six females together definitely not ideal, but to make a long story short, i started with four females and one had six babies. the plan is to keep both the girls she had and to reintroduce the mom to the other three with her kids in one big tank- fingers crossed it works out!

first introductions went amazingly for all five of them- except with one. she was very nippy towards mom and her kids. i'm wondering if this is normal behavior? could she be asserting her dominance? there was no blood, just a lot of squeaks and running around caused by her. is there anything i can do to help keep things calm or is this something they need to work out themselves?

on a lighter note, on more then one occasion my chubbiest girl was piled up with mom mouse and her two kids all grooming each other. it was hilarious seeing them together like that. mom mouse seems like she's taken her under her wing and considers her one of her own kids<3

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: lots of nipping while introducing females

Post by CallaLily on Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:30 am

I've always read that as long as there's no blood drawn, let them work it out. It can look/sound pretty bad sometimes but it's just their way of figuring out everyone's place in the hierarchy.

CallaLily

Aquarius In Love

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:42 am

Once they figure out their hierarchy things should settle down.

I love watching mice groom each other, it's adorable Smile Hope things work out nicely!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:04 pm

Let them work it out themselves. As long as there is no blood, there is no problem. The will settle down once them get their new hierarchy set up. Sometimes the squeaking can be pretty awful, though, which is also normal. I usually have to leave the room and shut the door! Then i go back and check on them every hour.

But if you see blood, try to identify the aggressor. Then you would remove that mouse for a time out. If this happens, let us know and we can walk you through this process. But most of the time, things work themselves out.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:16 pm

thanks for the advice guys! todays introductions seemed to go a little bit smoother with the nipper. definitely more ignoring coming from her but there was a loud disagreement with her and mom once or twice. still more cuddling from chubby mouse and mom and kids too. Smile

ive been letting them meet in the empty tank for 20-30 minutes each night the past two nights, is that alright or am i going about this the wrong way? should i put a couple neutral toys in? any and all advice would be very appreciated! i would love to know how you guys go about introducing your ladies together.

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:31 pm

There's not really anything majorly wrong with doing gradual introductions, but I've only done introductions over a few days if blood was drawn. If no blood is being drawn, introducing and separating over and over might be more stressful than just getting it over with.

You can add toys... or not. I've had success doing it both ways. In the actual tank, I keep it very minimal at first. Some of the older members of the former forum even suggested leaving newly introduced mice in a tank with only a water bottle and scattered food for a night or two. It depends on how territorial your girls are.

I'm glad things seemed smoother today. Good luck!
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:03 am

I always introduce my mice in a freshly cleaned tank and leave them together unless I see blood. I make sure I check on then regularly.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:10 am

I've always introduced them in a completely clean play bin, watching closely while I set up a completely clean tank. If they get on decently during that time, I move them into the new tank and keep watching.  I've seen it said that putting them together and pulling them apart just slows the process down. IMO, you don't want to do that unless blood is drawn.  So I personally would introduce them in a neutral tank and leave them unless it did escalate to blood being drawn.

I want to add that leading up to the day of introductions, I'll swap toys or bedding between them to slowly start getting them used to the other's smell.  Also, if there does seem to be a lot of bullying going on (after intro, without blood), I'll take them down to the bare minimum. One hide, water bottle, scattered food.  Then you add back one thing at a time as they get along, day by day. But I've had that backfire once and so I've also done 2 of everything instead. Just depends on your mice and which works for them.

Have you read the article on introductions?  http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t39-introducing-mice

CallaLily

Aquarius In Love

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:24 pm

thanks for the advice guys! i think i'll switch some toys around tonight again and see how they do in the tank tomorrow with a couple toys. i don't work tomorrow so i'll be home to watch them most of the day so it seems like a good time to try that.

would it be okay to add both there wheels to the tank when they go in? and is scrubbing them down enough to make them neutral smelling? just to clarify, everything needs to be neutral in the cage so no gets territorial right? like new toys, no smells, ect?

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:18 pm

Scrubbed clean works just fine.

CallaLily

Aquarius In Love

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:27 pm

i have all the girls together. the biter is being very bitey and everyone is on edge. she goes from minding her own business to chasing everyone around and biting as soon as they get close- or she'll purposely walk up to to mom mouse or her kids and chase them around biting. should i be concerned? is there any way they could eventually live calmly together at this rate? heres a picture of the tank set up, all the boxes have 2 or 3 ways to get out of them so no one gets cornered.

im so stressed out and worried. i need them in one big tank together. if she doesnt get along with the other girls im really not sure what to do. i feel terrible letting her stress out the other five so badly, because they all seem to be getting along just fine together otherwise.

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:03 pm

How big is that tank? Sometimes, if the space is too big, it can make introductions trickier. In that case, you'd want to move them into a smaller space until they settled down, and then try them in the bigger space again.

It can take a couple weeks for everyone to settle in, though. If no blood is drawn, let them sort it themselves. You can try to observe and figure out if there's anything that specifically sets her off... like if it's a toy that she wants to defend from the other girls, take it out.

If she's still being a meanie in a couple weeks, you could separate her temporarily. Giving her a time out gives you a chance to work on taming her (which ups the chances of her getting along with everyone) and gives her a chance to learn that she doesn't like to be alone.
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:55 pm

i have pretty good news! the bitter is much less bitey now, however little miss grey has replaced the nipping, especially towards one of the babies. everything overall has been much calmer though and theyre interacting very nice with each other. every night they sit in the food dish together before running off with there favoritr peice. my boyfriend thought he saw a bunch of them sleeping together the other day too- lo and behold they were! i found them all huddled together earlier today sleeping. Smile

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum