Dogless

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dogless

Post by MesaMouse on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:03 pm

Too many "no mores" in one year! First, no more mice and now, no more dogs. My wonderful, kind and compassionate vet, Dr. Lindsay Danner, came by yesterday evening with one of her techs, Kara, to euthanize Arwen the BooDog. Once the Boo caught wind of the "clinic smell", she sprang to life and evaded all of us for a good 10 minutes until the duo was able to corner her in the kitchen to give a sedative shot in the rump. In no more than a minute, she conked out and was placed on the couch on a blanket so the vet could administer the second injection. Thankfully, she was gone in no time at all and the pet mortuary picked her up this morning for cremation (I'll have the ashes back in about a week).

As I told Dr. Danner yesterday, I can't physically handle having another dog, even a tiny senior one, but really can't live without a wandering around interactive large mammal. I haven't had a cat since my last one passed about 5 years ago. Cats are largely low-maintenance (give me food, clean my litter box and interact with me on my terms) so a cat it will be! So, probably next month I'll head to the Maricopa County Animal Control depot about 4 miles away to look for an adult/senior cat (an orange one!). There are so many cats and kittens coming in constantly that they charge a fee only for kittens under 6 months old: everyone else is free! Hopefully an older cat will have minimal interest in Imogene's tank or, like Scaredymouse's Kevin, will enjoy watching rodents without the urge to eat them!

I feel so much more at ease today, so much calmer, that I realize I had no idea how much stress I was carrying worrying about the BooDog these last several months. We're both in a better place now and I hope she's caught up with her cats, Norris and Bentley, and my former dog, Fluellen the PieDog, over the Rainbow Bridge.

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dogless

Post by scaredymouse on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:52 pm

I'm sorry to hear about BooDog. I'm glad she got to go peacefully and at home with you by her side. I felt the same way after Furgie died... for months I was on death watch. Every day for months, I struggled... is she in pain, should I put her to sleep, what can I do for her? Of course, losing her was awful but she lived such a long and wonderful life, and she was free now. I was happy for her.

I totally understand needing another large free-range animal companion! A cat is perfect. You know, my senior cat Maya, doesn't care about the mice or hamsters at all. She only comes around to try to eat their food. She loves a good seed mix Rofling And the more time that goes by, the less Kevin cares about the critters. Also, I happen to have an empty 20g tank in the living room with a screen lid and my 15lb cat has been jumping up on it lately and then laying down to take a nap. I didn't stop her because I was actually really interested to see how the screen lid held up but obviously didn't want any critters to be in danger. And I'm happy to report that the lid did great! I feel a lot better about the safety of all my critters now. I mean, I still don't want any cats jumping on any tanks but I know they can handle it now. So that's neat.

I can't wait to hear about your new old cat! I love senior pets. I'll take one of those over a baby any day.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:19 pm

MesaMouse my heart goes out to you Hug Dogs are such great company - and as you say, so interactive. It must be so strange not having your BooDog around after having had her for such a long time. Alas, it was her time to go - and it was with great kindness that you decided to say goodbye to her. Rest in peace Arwen.

I am delighted that you will be getting a cat though Smile I am convinced that the meaning of life is to open your heart and love as much as possible - including all the animals Ear wiggle I can't wait to hear about him/her!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:22 pm

I'll feel really repetitive and lame if I say that I'm sorry about BooDog again. lol But I'm glad that you're both getting to rest easier now. Rainbow2

I brought my 14 year old Missy home about a week after my sweet Sunflower kitty was put to sleep. She's a big monster, but I can't imagine being without her. Adopting senior pets is such an awesome thing to do!! Love
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:42 pm

I'm not as good with words as everyond else but wanted to send you hugs. Group Hug It's never easy saying goodbye to a loved one.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse on Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:42 pm

Thank you all so much for your kindness. I wasn't teary yesterday but have gotten all weepy reading your thoughtful words. No matter what the species, once you're an animal lover, you have compassion for all of them.

Although I'm not physically ready to start a cat hunt (lots of de-dogging cleaning to do), I did check Animal Control's website today and there's a lovely 8 year old "red tabby" lady available so I may have to get my act together faster than planned. My only worry is that if no one wants her before her time runs out....oh, I feel guilty already! I probably should just pick up a litter box, litter and some food so I could swoop in when necessary to same some little feline soul in peril.

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum