Good-bye Nikki

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Good-bye Nikki

Post by essentiallysue on Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:33 am

I had to have Niki put to sleep yesterday. She was the tiniest of four white mice I bought last February. When I first got them, she was the "chief" and most active. But they all grew big and she was fired from that position. Still she was the one who loved her humans, and one special roommate, Bree. They always came out together and ran in the wheel together. Eventually, Niki began itching and scratched into sores. They were all treated for mites, but it did not help her. I considered everything, one thing at a time, to see if it were an allergy, and she became an obsessive scratcher. She kept eating and stayed active until this last day or two. She still became very frail. I took her to the vet and he did a skin scrape and determined she did not have mites. So frail and weak, she was helped to her heavenly home.
Her little friend, Bree, took it so hard, sleeping in the spot where Niki has slept constantly in her final days. The other mice are healthy. This morning, I changed the cage so maybe Bree would pal with the others and not sit in Niki's spot.
Niki, Niki, we miss you!

essentiallysue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Good-bye Nikki

Post by Peachy on Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:53 am

I'm sorry for you and your girls. I know it's awful to lose them like that. My boy Sulley passed after two months of scratching, it makes me sad to think of how irritated he must have been. I'm glad Niki gets some peace now, and I hope that Bree will learn to love her other friends as much as she loved Niki. Rainbow Angel
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:22 am

I have had mice since 2012 and this is the second one I have lost to excessive scratching. Couldn't help that other one either. I wish I knew how to stop them from beating themselves up!
Thank you for your kind words.

essentiallysue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:54 am

I'm so sorry. It's heartbreaking to watch them hurt themselves so badly and nothing seems to help. Sad

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:57 am

Sorry for your loss Sad I have never had an obsessive scratcher, but it sounds really awful. At least Nikki is at peace now, poor little thing. Rest in peace Nikki.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:16 am

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:38 pm

So sorry about Nikki -- she sounded like a feisty little lady. Sadly, with obsessive scratching there doesn't seem to be a lasting cure as it appears to be psychologically triggered rather than a physical illness. Hope Bree adjusts well to her loss and gets lots of love from her sisters.

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue on Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:51 pm

When you say that, it makes me wonder if it was caused by her being replaced as the leader of the group! Only wish we could know how they think.

essentiallysue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nestmouse on Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:11 pm

Sleep peacefully, Nikki!

Nestmouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:43 am

I'm sorry to hear about Nikki. It's heartbreaking to watch them hurt themselves. Hopefully little Bree will make a new friend. It always makes me so sad to watch them grieve. Run free sweet Nikki.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldehwolfeh on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:44 am

I am sorry for your loss :c. It's very heartbreaking

Little Angels- Kitty (Doe), Kara (Doe) Angel
Goldehwolfeh
Jr Member
Jr Member