very ill mouse

View previous topic View next topic Go down

very ill mouse

Post by copnkio on Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi everyone, I am new, just joined for advice. My poor Boo has been suffering from something for quite a while. He seemed to be dealing with chronic respiratory infections that would come and go and has been on antibiotics for a while. About two weeks ago I noticed that he was not using his front left paw. Upon closer inspection, I found he was keeping it balled in a tight fist and would use it to prop up a cheerio to his mouth but not walk on it. He was still relatively mobile. His breathing seemed incredibly labored. Vet gave some recommendations to diet, a homeopathic treatment, and to keep him on antibiotics. He said it was probably a damaged nerve and that a chiropractic adjustment would fix it, but that Boo is too small for that. He said he thought Boo would be just fine with the treatment plan he gave me. Since then, it seems Boo has been on a roller coaster. He seemed better for a while but I think he's much worse now. He sits in one corner of his tank with his head against a piece of fleece, tucked down, sleeping with his back all hunched over. I can almost see his spine - his hair has worn away and it's bright bright pink and it's like right there, almost sharp to the touch. His mobility seems decreased and he drags his limp left leg all over the place. It's horrible to watch. The other morning I woke up and saw that he was still in his hide, as he'd been last night. I went to investigate and found him on his back, legs in the air, helpless, limp, like he'd been there all night. I thought he had died. It was heartbreaking. I held him for a while and he kind of came to. I put him down and went to shower and when I came back he was eating. But he's been refusing his antibiotics more, and I haven't seen him drink in two weeks (but he must be or he'd be dead, right?) All he does is sit in a corner and breathe at a rate so fast I didn't know an animal could do that. Today I noticed some round, normal looking feces matted to his tail and underside, and his entire underside is matted and yellowish (I guess with urine?) Although there are lots of normalish looking hard feces in the cage, and he has peed on me recently. I'm so worried that I come home constantly to check on him. Even if I spend the night at my boyfriend's, I wake up early to go back in the morning before work to see him, but the reality is, I have no idea what to do for him. I want to hold him, but he doesn't like to be held. I want to rearrange his cage and make it comfier, but it greatly stresses him out. I don't know what to do. Honestly the vets in my area seem useless. he's been to them three or four times over the course of a few months and is clearly not getting better. The visits also stress him immensely and he seems to hate me for it. Does any one have any idea what strange disease this could be? I feel like if I can at least present to the vet "doesn't it seem like ____" then we could get some real treatment. Cause these vets seem like they read a page in a textbook on mice and are now charging a fortune to "treat" them. They say the dumbest things I know aren't true and one of them was scared of him and actually dropped him from quite a height once. So...please. Any help is much much appreciated.

copnkio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: very ill mouse

Post by Peachy on Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:34 pm

How old is your mouse? I don't know what to say it might be, I hope someone else might have ideas... maybe you can try to search for a more pocket pet friendly vet on a site like vetective.com.

In the meantime, I'd give him a heating pad (place it under half of his tank on low) to help him keep warm. Once he's warmed up he might more willing to eat. A good option would be cooked oatmeal/rice mixed with KMR. My elderly mice have enjoyed a bit of warmed up baby food, too.

Here's a little test that can help you decide if he's dehydrated: Pinch up the skin of his neck and then watch how it falls... If it falls back slowly or stays pinched up, you can offer him pedialyte in a syringe to help rehydrate. There's instructions and a recipe for homemade pedialyte on this page: http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t10-emergency-kit

My best to you and Boo. Hopefully if you can't get any definitive answers right away, you can at least help him stay more comfortable. Good vibes
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:53 am

Poor Boo - I hope things get better.
Just try to make him as comfortable as you can - maybe you could just change one little thing in his cage at a time? So that there's still lots of things he's used to, but only one new thing?

stephlisa
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

View user profile http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:21 am

I'm sorry to hear about Boo, I can tell how much you love him. Unfortunately, mice are subject to all the health problems and diseases as humans. However, it's impossible diagnose and/or treat most of them. I don't know what's wrong with little Boo but he sounds very sick. He actually sounds a lot like my boy. I'm fairly certain my mouse had a stroke, then he recovered for a while, but now he's lost weight/hunched over, he's weak, he's wobbly when he walks and he sleeps a lot. If I had to venture a guess on Boo, I would say he had a stroke. There isn't anything that can be done for it... other than keep him comfortable.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by copnkio on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:39 pm

My wonderful mouse friend has died.

Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

It is nearly 10 at night here. I do not have any way of knowing at what time today he died. I left the house at 8am. How long do I have to bury him? I would prefer to wait until the morning. My mother is forcefully encouraging me to do it now due to her fears that his body will drastically decompose during the course of the night. Advice much appreciated. I have not eaten in many hours and am exhausted and distraught and in grief and I do not know if I have it in me this evening to go purchase a shovel and bury my friend.

copnkio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:57 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sad

I put the bodies in a little box or something and then set them on a shelf to bury in the morning. He won't decompose that quickly, and if he's already put away you won't have to look again if you don't want to.
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:13 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your little Boo, he sounded like a really special guy.

I agree with Peachy, he will be fine until morning. I've lost mice in the evening and kept them in a little box until morning to be buried.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:40 pm

So sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts are with you.

He should not decompose overnight. You can even put his body in the freezer; this will further prevent decomposition. When my little Lucy died, we kept her in the freezer for several days until we figured out what to do with her. Her body did not decompose at all in that time frame.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Sarah (PEW), and Selina (Broken Black)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW) and Lucy (Brindle)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:20 am

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:31 am

I'm so sorry to hear about Boo.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:39 pm

Aaw I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It hurts to lose a special little mouse friend Sad

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top