purple and distended penis on runt mouse

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

purple and distended penis on runt mouse

Post by jess32247 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:28 pm

i just noticed one of my boys has a purple and distended penis. i have no idea what to do and i'm on the verge of crying. i'm scared and worried he might not make it to a vet, if i can even find one willing to treat a mouse. i'll be calling first thing tomorrow and seeing if i can get him in before i have to go to work. in the meantime is there anything i can do to make him comfortable? does anyone know what caused this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCN5tWbiQ4U

i actually found this little bit of information about it, does anyone have experience dealing with this?

"Genital abnormalities. Evaluate the female mammary chain for masses, abnormalities around the nipples or irregularities around the vulva. Examine the male penis by gently sliding back the prepuce. A purple or distended penis during exam likely indicates a urinary obstruction, which is a painful and life threatening condition. Check the rectal area for swelling, trauma or prolapsed tissue. Swellings adjacent to the rectum in older male mice likely indicate cysts in the reproductive glands and are generally benign."

he is definitely a runt, here he is next to two of his normal sized brothers. when i looked at him today it looked like he didn't even have testicles, but i'm 99% sure he's male. he lives with his three brothers in a 10 gallon tank while i look for homes for them.

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: purple and distended penis on runt mouse

Post by River on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:33 am

Looks like he might be more than a runt...might be what we call a peanut. It It sounds like a prolapsed penis to me. Nothing can be done from home, but hopefully he'll make it to the vet. It is, unfortunately, extremely painful.

Pisces Paranoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:21 am

it looks a lot like a prolapsed penis. i must not of noticed it when it first happened considering how bad it looks. i feel terrible.

ill call some places today and see if i can him in early tomorrow. hes still housed with his brothers who bicker with each other, should i seperate him for the time being? im not sure if that would cause him more stress then needed or be better. :/

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:28 am

I would separate him so he can rest easier... if he's in a lot of pain he doesn't need his brothers arguing around him. I hope someone will be able to help him feel better soon! Good vibes

Becky's Girls: Becky, Soong, Dotty, Tulip, Ladybug, Petunia, and Posey
Lulie's girls: Lulie, Pearl, Yoko, Cora, Dulcie, Dandy, and BumbleBee
Boys: Yoshi, Frog, and Mika
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:10 am

I hope you can get the little guy to the vet soon. Poor thing!

Btw, it would be best to house all of your boys individually. Even brothers will fight which can lead to severe injury or even death. They may be doing ok now but things could take a turn very suddenly. It's just not in their nature to live with other bucks once they're old enough to be away from mom. Sorry if I'm repeating advice already given. I just wanted to be sure it was something you're aware of. Smile

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:42 pm

i called a half dozen places and finally found one that will treat mice, his appointment is scheduled for 10 tomorrow morning. the place is a hour away and i have to be home at 3 to leave for work, so i'm praying whatever will have to be done will be done in time so he doesn't have to wait another day.

i really need to separate them, i get more and more worried about them being together everyday. :/ at this point i'm trying to give away the other boys for free but even then no one has been interested yet. i'll put the little runt boy in his own cage tonight once everyone wakes up, hopefully it will help him be more comfortable.

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:54 pm

Poor little guy. Definitely looks like a severe case of a prolapsed penis, and if that really is the case then surgery is his only hope AFAIK.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Sarah (PEW), and Selina (Broken Black)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW) and Lucy (Brindle)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:31 pm

the vet was amazing and has hopes he will be able to recover on his own in a few days. Smile he told me to help him along by lubing his penis with vegetable oil a few times a day and hopefully after some rest, he'll be able to get it back inside himself. its still swollen at the moment but while we were there, he was able to get it all the way back in for a few minutes so thats a good sign.

however hes very lethargic right now. he was a little lethargic when we got there but perked up after the vet gave him a shot of pain meds but he really went downhill on the way home. im hoping hes just tired and stressed out because of the 40 minute trip both ways on a bumpy highway. im hoping hell perk back up after some rest because he looks really bad right now.

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport on Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:48 pm

I am glad you were able to find a good vet. I really hope he is right and that your little guy will be able to recover on his own.
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:26 pm

the things we do for our pets!

poor little fella, I hope things work themselves out for him (with your help). it's possible that the pain medication made him a little loopy, hopefully he perks back up.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Slappy (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:38 pm

my little baby passed away in my hands this morning. i found him in his food bowl barely breathing so i kept him warm and loved as he passed. im devastated. i hoped so much that he would pull through.

jess32247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:40 pm

Oh golly, I'm sorry you lost him. These guys can be so fragile. Sad

Becky's Girls: Becky, Soong, Dotty, Tulip, Ladybug, Petunia, and Posey
Lulie's girls: Lulie, Pearl, Yoko, Cora, Dulcie, Dandy, and BumbleBee
Boys: Yoshi, Frog, and Mika
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:57 pm

I'm so sorry to hear. It's nice that you were able to be there for him in his final moments. hugs

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa on Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:28 am

I'm sorry for you loss - its nice you were there for him at the end though. Hugs.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

View user profile http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:25 am

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top