Chinese Hamster

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Chinese Hamster

Post by scaredymouse on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:36 pm

I do full cleans every three weeks +/- depending on sloppy the ham is Smile

And they sure do make noises! Sometimes they chitter, make noises that sound like sneezes but from the mouth, they squeak but sometimes it sounds like a scream (it's starting!). If you hear them squeak... They are mad! But I'm not exactly sure what the other noises mean... It could be interest or annoyance.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:56 pm

Thank you both!  I'm so glad to hear noises are normal. phew.  The other hams I've had were silent...or at least nothing in my hearing range anyway.  While she was fussing she was tunneling along under the bedding, peeking out at me every so often.

Laughing  at the ruby stink eye.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:45 pm

Finally got a few decent pics!  She's sooo shy, I normally have to dim the lights to watch her do anything but this evening she was out and about with lights on and seemed more curious than afraid.  I still kept it short because she does still seem to get stressed easily.

Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:09 pm

Awwww! How cute! She's adorable!

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:30 pm

I can't get enough of those big eyeballs!

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:31 am

I used some of my christmas money and ordered the IRIS Christmas Tree Storage Box to convert into a bin cage for Hamtaro. It's 52.8 inches long, 20.8 inches wide, and 14 inches tall. We'll see what the actual usable inside measurements are when I get it, but it shouldn't be too much less than the dimensions given. From Target for $34.99 - that's with a $5 off code and free shipping. I've already got some leftover hardware cloth to use, so I just need something to attach it with.

Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:49 pm

Lucky ham! Christmas tree storage bins are supposed to be the bees knees for hamsters!

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:39 pm

I found a post online that says the inside measures 47x17 inches, so it's 799 square inches. I was thinking I would also attach her current bin to it and fill it with bedding for a nice sized digging area.

Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:16 pm

@CallaLily wrote:I found a post online that says the inside measures 47x17 inches, so it's 799 square inches. I was thinking I would also attach her current bin to it and fill it with bedding for a nice sized digging area.

Has it arrived yet, CallaLily? It's the one with the red top, end latches and wheels at one end? If so, I've been eyeing the same item online at Walmart as I'd like to make a larger home for Imogene but wanted something with a lid that'd be easier to cut out -- that paneled lid looks like it'd be tough to tackle. Are you planning to remove most of the lid for the hardware cloth or maybe just a few panels?

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:21 pm

According to the tracking, it should arrive tomorrow. I don't have a plan yet on how I'm cutting the lid. I've read that it's a bit more difficult to cut than other bin lids. But I will share how I cut it once it gets here and I figure it out.

Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:11 pm

@CallaLily wrote:According to the tracking, it should arrive tomorrow. I don't have a plan yet on how I'm cutting the lid.  I've read that it's a bit more difficult to cut than other bin lids. But I will share how I cut it once it gets here and I figure it out.

Check out the 4th page of this thread on Hamster Hideout as one intrepid owner posted a step-by-step guide on how to cut the lid for a bin cage a few days ago, each step has its own photo and detailed instruction: http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/120679-bin-cages-101/

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:46 pm

Thank you. Now that it's here I'm thinking I'll be cutting out 2 or 3 smaller windows in the lid, rather than one big one. I think it'll be better supported that way. Now just to get things rearranged to make space for it. I'm thinking of using my old 75 gallon tank stand. I think it'll work since a 75g tank is 48x18 inches and the base of the iris bin is around 47x17 inches. My other option is moving the crab tank (the 75) back to the stand and putting Hamtaro's new bin where it is now (next to the mouse tank), but it's a HUGE pain to move the crabitat.

I had converted the tank stand to a litter box cupboard/cat tree of sorts - though an ugly one. Laughing The cats do enjoy it but they've got other shelves and such and I could still use it as a cat box hide, even with flipping it back over to use it as a stand again. I have plans to make the cats a new tree-thing with empty litter buckets anyway.

Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:40 pm

@CallaLily wrote:Thank you. Now that it's here I'm thinking I'll be cutting out 2 or 3 smaller windows in the lid, rather than one big one.  I think it'll be better supported that way.  Now just to get things rearranged to make space for it. I'm thinking of using my old 75 gallon tank stand. I think it'll work since a 75g tank is 48x18 inches and the base of the iris bin is around 47x17 inches.  My other option is moving the crab tank (the 75) back to the stand and putting Hamtaro's new bin where it is now (next to the mouse tank), but it's a HUGE pain to move the crabitat.

I had converted the tank stand to a litter box cupboard/cat tree of sorts - though an ugly one. Laughing  The cats do enjoy it but they've got other shelves and such and I could still use it as a cat box hide, even with flipping it back over to use it as a stand again. I have plans to make the cats a new tree-thing with empty litter buckets anyway.  

Do yourself a favor and try every which way not to have to move the crab tank! Your husband and sons will thank you for saving their backs and knees trying to safely shift a 75g with who knows how many pounds of playsand in it. The cats will adjust to something new and that litter bucket tree idea sounds like a lot of fun.

I'll be very interested to see how the IRIS bin works out (especially preparing that lid). Have you considered replacing all but the two locking end sections of the lid with hardware cloth, perhaps creating two halves that could curve over the sides a bit and meet in the middle, closing there with a few hooks-and-eyes or something similar? That way either end could be lifted up and removed to access the bin for cleaning, etc. I can envision it but am not exactly sure how the construction logistics would play out. My poor Imogene is in a woefully small habitat for a Syrian, a 20L, so I'd like to move her to something akin to that IRIS. The table she's on is 47Lx19W which would accommodate the IRIS beautifully.

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:04 am

I'm not sure I can picture what you're describing with the lid. I know I've seen at least one person on the hamster forum replace the lid with something else entirely, but that will take away a couple inches of height. However I do it, I need it to also be sturdy enough to support a cat, should one happen to get to it. I've been sick these last few days and finally starting to feel a bit better. It'll probably be another day or two before I get started.

Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse on Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:29 pm

CallaLily, I found another section at HamsterHideout that shows a really clever idea for creating an instant secure lid for a bin cage using wire shelving. I love this!

http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/123074-hamster-hideouts-guide-to-choosing-a-great-cage-for-your-hamster/

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top