SUPRISE Babies

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SUPRISE Babies

Post by Neon Starfruit on Fri 09 Dec 2016, 6:01 pm

So a week and a half ago i bought a mouse. Then it was female so i got another. Just today when i picked up the second mouse i realized its stonach grew to the size of a small mandarin orange. The second mouse is still in quarintine so its definitely from the breeder. When i was aking my dad about getting the second mouse he said if they had babies he would feed them to my dog. I know he isnt serious but i live in a town of 4k people. Thats why i had to order a mouse. The last person to order a mouse was years ago so i prob wont be able to give them away. I dont know what to do. Please help
Neon Starfruit
Jr Member
Jr Member

Cancer Confused

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/c/neonstarfruit

Back to top Go down

Re: SUPRISE Babies

Post by Peachy on Fri 09 Dec 2016, 6:58 pm

The only options you really have are to rehome, surrender to a shelter/rescue, or keep them. Have you talked to your dad? Maybe he can help you come up with a plan for any babies that you can't keep. You could check and/or post on a site like Craigslist or Petfinder to try to find homes or a rescue that aren't too far away. Or maybe the breeder/place you ordered them from will take them back? Is there a local pet store that would be interested in taking them in?

In the meantime, this thread has lots and lots of info to help you prepare for pregnancy and babies. It'd definitely be worth a read.
http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t43-breeding-packet
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Fri 09 Dec 2016, 7:10 pm

Depending on the size of your enclosure, you can probably keep all the female babies relatively easily. Surrendering them to a shelter is an option. And you may want to consider culling the litter a little to make things easier on yourself.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal on Fri 09 Dec 2016, 8:07 pm

Generally, where do you live? If anyone on here lives nea you (for me that would be within 50 miles for mice) you can arrange for a place to meet them and the'd love to take a little mouse or two off your hands.

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Fri 09 Dec 2016, 9:19 pm

Well, in addition to the options Peachy presented, you could also humanely euthanize the babies. But that's an extreme option and one I doubt you want to pursue.

It sounds like your best bet is to keep as many of the females as you can and give the rest of the babies to a shelter. Assuming you live in the US, the Humane Society has at least one shelter in every state, and they'll take mice. It may not be a short drive, but it probably wouldn't be an unreasonable one to make.

Also, be sure to take plenty of pictures when the babies arrive! There's nothing we all love more than wiggly baby mousies.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Fri 09 Dec 2016, 9:56 pm

Though I don't think there's anything at all wrong with what's been said, I just wanted to note (before it happens) that, since it can be a controversial and upsetting topic, it's probably best that we keep any detailed culling discussions to a minimum. At least outside of private messaging. Smile

If you decide to cull, please do a lot of your own research first to make sure you're doing it right by mom and babies. Good luck, and I agree about the pictures!! Ear wiggle
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat 10 Dec 2016, 12:24 am

If you ordered this mouse from a pet store and it came to you pregnant....i would be calling them and pitching a fit. I would be speaking to a manager and not taking no for an answer. If you don't feel confident making that phone call, ask your dad... I'm sure he'll be mouse than happy to help as I'm sure he's not happy about this situation. You shouldn't have to be responsible for the babies. That wasn't the deal when you bought the mouse. I think they should be responsible for the babies and should let you bring them back when they are weaned.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Sat 10 Dec 2016, 9:48 am

@scaredymouse wrote:If you ordered this mouse from a pet store and it came to you pregnant....i would be calling them and pitching a fit.  I would be speaking to a manager and not taking no for an answer.  If you don't feel confident making that phone call, ask your dad... I'm sure he'll be mouse than happy to help as I'm sure he's not happy about this situation.  You shouldn't have to be responsible for the babies.  That wasn't the deal when you bought the mouse.  I think they should be responsible for the babies and should let you bring them back when they are weaned.
I don't know... While I agree that it really isn't fair for these unwanted babies to be her responsibility, the last thing I'd personally want for a bunch of baby mousies I've cared for and grown attached to is to send them to a pet store where they could be potentially mistreated and/or sold off as feeders.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by Neon Starfruit on Sat 10 Dec 2016, 3:12 pm

The only problem with the situational thing is th closest city i live to is one of 15,000 people. And i live in canada, in the kootenays. So im pretty close to the border, can i take canadian mice to the humain society? And what exactly is culling? And how would I go about the actual birthing process?
Neon Starfruit
Jr Member
Jr Member

Cancer Confused

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Sat 10 Dec 2016, 3:24 pm

Culling is taking the babies from the mom after they're born and euthanizing them.

You won't have an active part in the birth... trying to help would stress Mom out more than it'd help. I know it's a lot to read through, but the link I posted above will cover many important things... info about the birth, what to do after the birth, raising the babies, weaning, etc.
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Sat 10 Dec 2016, 3:24 pm

@Neon Starfruit wrote:The only problem with the situational thing is th closest city i live to is one of 15,000 people.  And i live in canada, in the kootenays.  So im pretty close to the border, can i take canadian mice to the humain society? And what exactly is culling?  And how would I go about the actual birthing process?
I don't see why the Humane Society wouldn't still take them, but you would have to go through US customs, which could potentially be a real pain in the :censored:. It's certainly an option I suppose, but I would look into nearby Canadian shelters first.

As for culling, that is the practice of humanely killing the babies in such a way that they experience little to no pain or fear. Since it is an upsetting topic, Peachy has requested that any detailed discussion of culling take place via private messaging.

As for the birthing process, momma mouse will take care of that herself. You just want to do your best to make sure she is happy, healthy, and stress-free when the time comes. Also be sure to supplement her diet with extra protein; a good way to do this is to give her cooked, unseasoned chicken or scrambled eggs as a treat.

AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat 10 Dec 2016, 7:00 pm

I didn't say that my suggestion was necessarily the best course of action but it is certainly a viable option. Also, the pet store doesn't carry mice typically, so they would probably return them to the breeder. And we don't know anything about how they care for their mice or who they sell to. Things might be different in Canada.

Not knowing if they might be sold as feeders or be mistreated is definitely disturbing but so is culling them... Maybe they could have found loving homes. And spending your life at the humane society is not much of a life.

Its just an unfortunate situation. But this is one if the realities of adopting female mice.

I don't see why you couldn't bring the mice to the humane society here. I know someone that brings hamsters to the US from Canada, and I don't think is that big of a deal. I don't know why mice are any different. It looks like everyone else covered what you need too know about pregnancy and birth and posted the info link. Just make sure she stays alone through the pregnancy until the babies are weaned.

Other pets: Little Buddy, Kevin (cats) Sherberta, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, Harold, Spike, Mia, Mim, Henrietta(hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas), Herman/Figaro Whooopers/Burlington (guinea pigs)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sat 10 Dec 2016, 9:07 pm

I remember reading that mice are allowed to cross the border without need for a permit or anything. So it should be fine!

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MimzytheBun on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 1:16 pm

Where in Canada do you live? I'm in Southeastern Ontario and would take some babies!

Jr Member
Jr Member

Scared

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Neon Starfruit on Tue 13 Dec 2016, 11:32 pm

I live in southern BC so sorry. The babies were born today but when I went to bed I started hearing squeaking, I thought it was normal until it started getting louder and more common. When I got up to listen better I heard a tiny squeak and an exhalation of breath. As Im writing this I am hearing smaller squeaks periodically. Did she just cull one of the babies?
Neon Starfruit
Jr Member
Jr Member

Cancer Confused

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next