Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Cage Calculator
Find out how many mice will fit in your cage or tank.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Vacation- What Should I Do?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vacation- What Should I Do?

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:13 pm

Okay so I'm sure you all know what's happening with Henry right now. Still no improvement or worsening for his condition, I'm still taking care of him the same. But there's a major problem- I'm leaving on Christmas Eve for five days, and Henry is in NO position to be without medical care for that long. And I'm starting to freak out about it. What should I do?? I know absolutely no one who could give Henry remotely the amount of care he needs. All I have for pet sitting is my uncle, and the most he can do is change a food bowl and a water bottle. The only option for him to get the medical attention he needs is if I board him at his vet, which the vet has confirmed she can do. But I'm really worried that the change of location will stress him so much that he won't be able to take it, or the vet techs will handle him roughly, or they'll let the humidifier run out, or he'll be too stressed out with the dogs barking and all the commotion, I just... I will not be able to sleep knowing he's at the vet office with no way to know how he's doing with absolute certainty. What should I do? >.< Do I need to tell my mom I can't come? It's just that I've been so excited for this vacation for months now, and if I back out, my family will accuse me of trying to ruin it and...... Just, what should I do?

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Vacation- What Should I Do?

Post by EverythingAnimal on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:51 pm

Do you trust your vet? I'd say if they were a very good vet they could find a quiet spot for him to rest, and maybe put a blanket or towel over the tank too to make it dark and calm. If he were to stay there, would it be in his regular tank? I move my girls right in their ten gallon a hour drive to my lakehouse every summer and they don't seem to mind at all. I'd say 5 days away would be fine at the vets. If not, however, I don't know what to tell you.

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:55 pm

I would have to call her and ask. If he was healthy, boarding would be a 100% nonissue. I just don't know if he's physically healthy enough to handle boarding.

This may become a nonissue. I'm not even sure if he'll make it through the night right now. I said goodbye to him just in case. But if anyone has more advice, please keep it coming.

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:18 pm

If it was, say, an ill cat, I know for sure that I'd give up the trip. I did exactly that with my little one-eyed kitty cat towards the end of her time with me... choosing to spend my time with her when she started to not feel her best. I'm sure I'd do the same for a mouse. The thought of something happening while I was away enjoying myself is awful, awful, awful.

But that's really just me. I know I can go overboard sometimes. Razz Maybe your vet would be a good person to talk to. Make sure that she can address all your concerns, see what she thinks about it, and then weigh your options. Mice definitely aren't cats, and if he can be comfortable at "home" away from home than it might be okay.
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:58 pm

So, you still have several days before your trip. I would call the vet, voice your concerns, and potentially make arrangements. And see how the next few days go.

I don't know how big your trip is or if you are driving/flying, etc. If it doesn't cost money for you to back out at the last minute... You should feel confident in doing whatever you want. Your family will get over it. I mean, you can do whatever you want anyway, but especially if it doesn't impact anyone else. If it were me, I would probably stay. Like the last day I spent with Goose... I wouldn't trade it for the world. He wanted to be held. Nonstop, all day. So that's what I wanted to do. I guess it also depends on Henry. If he wants to be alone, then you would just be torturing yourself just sitting there. In this case, the vet could provide for his needs. And you have to ask yourself if you can handle him dying while you are away.

I'm sorry, this is the tough stuff of being a pet parent. I'm old, I don't have to answer to anyone and I can do whatever I want, so I would just stay home but I certainly remember being confronted with decisions like these.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:42 am

Well, he made it through another night. Even if he doesn't make it, I'm genuinely impressed he made it this far. Most mice would've thrown in the towel by now!

We're going to Disney World, so it could potentially cost a lot for me to back out, but... Sigh. I have to talk it over with my mom today, see what she thinks. >.<

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top