environmental questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

environmental questions

Post by boofandkara on Sun May 01, 2016 10:00 pm

hellooo,

I have several questions about creating a great environment for my mice. has anyone built their own play pen and have recommendations? I'd like something I can set up for them in the middle of the floor so they can have some exploratory time while I fold laundry or do computer tasks. I'm a little skeptical of some of the wire models on the market not to mention they are expensive.

I've noticed the boys really like these little bird ladders that I put in the tanks, attached to the screen (which means the ladders come off when I take the lids off). they will climb up the ladder and sometimes they will climb on top of their water bottle or scale the structural parts of the wheel. I put a bird perch in Boofaloo's tank for a hot second but took it out because he liked it so much that he was jumping up on it, balancing like an acrobat, swinging wildly, and then nearly falling off. I foresaw a poor outcome. but what I'd like to know is how I can enrich their 'upper' life in safe, homemade ways?

I'm also curious if anyone has used or uses fleece bedding? like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xh80-GHcTQ

boofandkara
User Removed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: environmental questions

Post by essentiallysue on Sun May 01, 2016 10:54 pm

I take cardboard that I receive from Amazon deliveries and cut them up into nice size sheets and make houses. I use Jenga blocks for legs so they can go under or inside of the structures. I cut peepholes and a couple doorways. They like to carry their bedding and furnish them. LOL  Then I make bridges with the cardboard and the small popsicle sticks and have them go from one of these houses to the other, as they like to run on top of them all. I also make steps with the Jenga blocks so they can get up to the top and back down. I make the houses large enough that I can set their food dishes on top. That way they don't fill the dishes with junk. If my mice are old, I just set the dishes on the ground. I use large bins for their cages so I have room to make a lot of things for them to enjoy and chew up. While they are using some of the houses, etc., I am making more and more so I can give them a completely new environment when I change the cage. But I usually keep their favorite sleep house. My mice are so used to me changing the homes and climbing things that I think they get all excited on cage cleaning day. Also, in the big bin cages, I can give them as many wheels as there are mice. This way, they can run at the same time without throwing anybody out. Even my old mice still like climbing on the tall buildings and bridges. If I can, I will try to upload a picture of one of the condos I made.

essentiallysue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne on Sun May 01, 2016 10:57 pm

You will need a play area that is escape-proof. A huge plastic storage bin with high walls is good. So is a dry bathtub.

If you are afraid of mice falling from the roof of their tanks, add layers closer to the top. You can drape fleece hammocks that hang from the cover, fill the tank with cardboard boxes of varying heights, or install a large shelf.

Fleece as bedding is a bad idea for mice. They really need paper bedding to absorb the odour of their urine. Mice have very sharp nails that easily snag in most types of fabric. When snagged, they tend to panic and thrash around trying to free themselves. They do NOT calmly sit there and think, "Hmm, how best to get myself out of this situation?"

Mice love to dig. Paper gives them the opportunity, cloth does not.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by boofandkara on Mon May 02, 2016 9:44 am

Great tips. I am worried about Boofaloo's allergies. I think he is allergic to the carefresh paper bedding (and I'm pretty sure I am as well). I think they will have to get used to me taking things in and out of the cage. On our first tank cleaning day, Karamakete freaked out. They both also get anxious when I take something out for two minutes to wipe it down. While it's gone, they run around the tank frantically looking for it, and then after I put it back, they spend a long time inspecting and greeting it. Like a dog when their owner goes away and comes back. Razz

boofandkara
User Removed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover on Mon May 02, 2016 9:57 am

If the carefresh is dusty then it could definitely cause allergies. Try switching to another product or just shredded newspaper maybe?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon May 02, 2016 12:57 pm

Instead of cleaning the tank while they're still inside, take them out and put them somewhere safe first, do all the cleaning you need, and then put them back in once al their things are replaced. Mice don't appreciate their stuff being moved around everywhere, so it's easier on them if they're not there for it.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boofandkara on Mon May 02, 2016 7:15 pm

yeah they didn't seem to like that much either, i did that

boofandkara
User Removed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top