Heavy Breathing, eyes halfway closed, standing still mouse- Urgent!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Heavy Breathing, eyes halfway closed, standing still mouse- Urgent!

Post by MooMouse on Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:49 pm

My male mouse Rogue is breathing irregularly and sits staring off into the distance with partly closed eyes. He either takes short, shallow breaths or really heavy, deep ones. It could be a URI. What should I do until I can call a vet tomorrow? He's currently sitting in my sleeve. Should I move him into a smaller tank or not risk stressing him out? Please, if you have any knowledge or experience with this type of behavior please tell me, I don't know what I should do and I'm scared for his well being.
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heavy Breathing, eyes halfway closed, standing still mouse- Urgent!

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:18 pm

Oh no, sounds like a URI. I would try moving him to a tank with the basic necessities - Food, water, a hide, and newspaper for bedding. Maybe add a little bit of tissue so he has something soft to nest in. No wheel, it could cause stress on his respiratory system. No wood, it could make breathing harder.

My Violet had a URI, and she survived days before passing because I couldn't treat her. So, if it just started, hopefully he should make it until morning, but I would get the vet appointment as soon as possible. Sorry he suddenly got sick Sad Good luck to you and him.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:46 pm

You don't have to move him unless you want to. It's more important to make sure that he's warm and staying hydrated, though. Hopefully he won't take a turn for the worse overnight and your vet will be able to help him out. Good luck! Good vibes
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse on Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:50 pm

Ok so I moved everything to ground level. I'm giving him a water dish in addition to his water bottle. He has his fleece hammock laying on the ground with an igloo on top, which is covered by a washcloth. He also has his own nesting material in the igloo. Thanks for all of your assistance, I'm calling the vet first thing in the morning. I really hope that he doesn't get worse Worry

MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:40 am

It looks like everyone already covered the basics on how to care for him. Keep him warm and hydrated, no wheel. Also, if you have a humidifier, that would help him breathe a little easier.

Let us know how it goes at the vet.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:01 pm

We are back from the vet. She said that what he is experiencing could be either a upper respiratory inflection (which was most common) or a heart issue. But since it was most likely a URI caused by bacteria or a virus, that is what she treated him for. They put him in an oxygen tank for a while and then gave him an antibiotic injection and steroid injection to hopefully calm his breathing down. It will last for 3 days, until Saturday, when I will begin giving him Doxycycline by mouth twice a day. She didn't want to give him an oral treatment now because she was afraid that with his rapid breathing, he would just inhale the medication. So hopefully, over the next few days, his breathing will improve. I moved him into a smaller cage (not tank) to get better air circulation and the humidifier is running. I moved the girls to a separate room so they will have a less chance of catching whatever he has. I'm a bit concerned that he is not drinking though. He has a water bottle and a water bowl. He seems so exhausted, from breathing so fast. I feel like I'm doing all that I can but I'm still worried about him Sad

MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:45 pm

When my critters get that sick, I do my best to offer water every hour or two when I'm home. I just hold the spout up to their mouth, if they are thirsty, they will drink. Other than that, just make sure the bottle and dish are close to his nest. This would be a great time to use KMR. Dilute it with water 50/50.

I'm glad to hear he's still hanging in there!

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse on Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:16 pm

Unfortunately I do not have any KMR. I'm really concerned that he's not drinking though. I just put a lid to a pop bottle filled with water right in is little napping bag so he won't have to move far to get any. But is there any other way to keep him hydrated? He is still eating (I gave him a mealworm) and pooping, mabye giving him a food that has a lot of water inside?

MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner on Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:23 pm

Quoted from the Health Packet
Gatorade®
Gatorade® contains electrolytes which can help bodily fluid function properly. If a mouse is dehydrated, electrolytes will help boost them. Electrolytes also make the animal feel thirsty, making them want to drink more. The nice taste of Gatorade® also helps them want more, in turn it hydrates them better. If your mouse is dehydrated or has diarrhea, diluted Gatorade® is most commonly recommended by vets. You still need to see a vet if your mouse is dehydrated or ill. If your mouse is this bad, you need a vet as soon as possible! Vets can also give your mouse fluids (under the skin) to give them the added boost they need. In addition, if your mouse has wet tail, he/she needs a vet immediately! Wet tail, as well as dehydration for any reason, can kill within 24 hours.

Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:12 am

I have good news! Rogue is up and moving around! Yesterday he spent the whole day laying in one spot. I think that he finally drank too, the water bowl in the corner of the cage has definitely lost some water. I'm so happy that he is feeling better! Bouncy Let's hope that he doesn't regress Undecided

MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:33 pm

Yay, glad to hear it!

scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:09 pm

I have bad news. Rogue isn't doing well again. He has started showing the same exact symptoms as he had been showing before I took him to the vet last week: heavy breathing, partially closed eyes, very weak. I believe that what caused this was the steroid and antibiotic injection wearing off on Saturday. He's been taking the oral medication for 3.5 days but he has not showed any signs of improvement. The tip of his tail is also turning blue/black. I don't know if I should wait a few more days to see if the medication will work, take him back to the vet, or think about euthanization. I'm really upset. I don't want him to suffer more if he already is.
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:21 pm

Sorry to hear he took a turn. Is he drinking water? You could try to give him some Pedialyte with a syringe.
Peachy

Scorpio Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm not sure if he is drinking but he is pooping and eating. I just made him some scrambled eggs now, so those could help hydrarte him a little

MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:37 pm

Oh no. D: Hopefully he'll come around again. That tail is worrying. I wonder if he's getting cold? Maybe a heat pad could help.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top