Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Sick mouse... need advice

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sick mouse... need advice

Post by CinnamonPearl on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:47 am

If you're uncertain, you should make another vet appointment and ask her to test the lump. Remember that we aren't veterinarians here! We can only make guesses based on our past experience. Only your vet can know for sure.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FurMommy on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:36 am

I know, I need to just talk to the vet. I will try today. It just worries me, and when it's the middle of the night and I'm stressing over it, I jump on the Internet in search of answers that I know no one can give me. We grow so attached to these little guys and then have to deal with the heartbreak. People think I'm crazy for loving them so much ... they say "it's just a mouse, you do realize normal people are afraid of 'those things' and set traps out to kill them". I guess I'm not normal then LOL.

I don't know if the vet will want to do a biopsy. She didn't say that she would absolutely not do it, just that she wouldn't recommend it because it wouldn't make a difference, assuming it is a tumor. They wouldn't have a treatment for it anyway. I'd never be able to forgive myself though, if it ended up being something we could have treated. So, we'll see if I'm able to get a hold of the vet today and get some answers.

FurMommy
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:42 am

Ask the vet to do a biopsy or some sort of test. If it is an abscess, it is 100% treatable, either by antibiotics or by draining. Stress to her that you think it's an abscess and she shouldn't refuse to test it.

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FurMommy on Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:08 am

If it does turn out to be an abscess and they suggest draining it... would she need to be sedated for that? I would think so, but I don't know how risky that is.

FurMommy
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FurMommy on Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:13 am

Of course, the vet doesn't come back til Monday! I spoke with the vet tech, but they couldn't tell me anything. They just read the notes in Crunchie's chart to me, which were all things I already knew.

FurMommy
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FurMommy on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:18 am

So I got a call from the vet tech I spoke to earlier today. She was able to get a hold of the Dr and told her my concerns. They are prescribing antibiotics that I can pick up tomorrow. It is the same antibiotic that she was on for her scratches. I still have a few doses of it left, so I've already started her back on it. I've been trying to think back to when she first went off the antibiotics, if I noticed that the mass started to grow more rapidly. I would think that if it is an abscess, and that particular antibiotic was helping, then the mass would grow once she went off the medication. I can say that while it did continue to grow while on the antibiotics, it did seem to start growing out of control once she stopped taking them. So, I'm still just as much at a loss for what it is! My husband saw the redness and felt the warmth that I was referring to, and he told me that he once had an abscess on his hand that was identical to what she has now. A lump under the skin, that gets bigger and bigger, that is red and warm to the touch. So who knows?! I will be calling the vet first thing Monday morning to see if I can actually talk to the Dr, not just pass messages through someone else. Ugh, so frustrating!

FurMommy
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FurMommy on Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:53 am

I'm sure this is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone might be able to respond quickly...

Crunchie started bleeding pretty heavily about an hour ago, but I don't know where exactly the bleeding is coming from. Where the largest part of the mass is, to the left of her tail, the skin has been bright red and warm for a few days now. That is where she's bleeding from, but I don't know how. Is it possible the skin was stretched so tight over the mass that it split open? I don't think she had any cuts there that may have been cut back open. She only bled for about 10-15 mins, pretty heavily at first, but then it slowed down and eventually stopped. So now she's not actively bleeding, but I'm sure it won't take much to cut it back open. She was walking around as normal when the bleeding first started. Then about 15-20 mins later, she crawled into her hide and just laid down. Now she seems like it's taking all of her energy to just hold her head up. She was trying to get some water, and would lick a few times, then rest her head, then lick a few times, and then rest her head. I called the only vet in the area that takes emergencies and treats exotics, but it's the vet that I have issues with. I can take her in right now, but it'll be an emergency visit obviously, and will cost quite a bit. The cost doesn't necessarily concern me, I'll pay anything if it helps my fur babies, but I don't know if taking her in will do any good. Will it just be prolonging the inevitable? I realize that no one here is a vet, but if anyone has ever experienced this before and can give me some much needed advice, I would be so grateful! I just don't know if I should take her in tonight, if it won't make a difference anyway.

FurMommy
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peas on Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:08 am

Take your mouse to the vet right now.

Either get a biopsy so you know for sure or put your mouse down so it doesn't suffer.

With all the scratching issues, it could be an infection. Either way it's not going to just get better on its own and it sounds serious enough that regular old antibiotics aren't going to help.

Just go to the vet and find out for sure. You will be able to sleep better thinking you did everything.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa on Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:25 am

I second going to the vet now. If its bled heavily she could have lost a lot of blood - mice arebonly little after all!
I hope they are able to help her.

stephlisa
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius Sad
1st Place -- November 2016

View user profile http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by FurMommy on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:18 am

On our way to the vet now. She seems to have perked up a bit after she got some water in her and took a nap, n had a few bites of cheerios

FurMommy
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:52 am

Glad you're taking her back to the vet. I did have a mouse, Twix, with a mammory tumor that grew large quickly and her skin ended up tearing a bit - but I think more from her pulling on it. Once I realized that, I took her in to the vet for that final visit. But I did know for sure her lump was a tumor and it wasn't bleeding much.

I hope you get definite answers today on if it's a tumor or an abcess. Good luck.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by FurMommy on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:02 am

So the vet is convinced it's a tumor. Still no biopsy though. They don't want to traumatize her. The red and warm skin, and the bleeding is most likely a result of the tumor rupturing blood vessels and the blood pooling under the skin. Which is why it felt more fluid than solid. The slightest bit of pressure basically split her skin open. They can do an ultrasound to look for more fluid and then drain it, but the aspiration procedure would be traumatizing and she might not even survive it. They are also concerned that it may have spread onto her chest because her breathing is heavy and hard. She's been in the oxygen tank to help cope with that. The vet feels like it's only a matter of time. She may have a few days left, or she may not even make it through the night. At this point, the vet is recommending euthanasia. She feels that if we take her home to let things happen naturally, she will most likely suffer. So I have to make a decision here. I really need help to do that!

I've always been against euthansia. I think why not send them home with some good pain meds and let things happen on their own. I've never had to decide though. It's different now that I'm here. I wasn't prepared for this yet. She was getting along ok til last night. She still has some good moments. On the way to the vet this morning she was crawling around her cage, digging for treats and trying to climb out. It's hard to make the decision when she still has "good" moments like that. But they are getting fewer and farther between. At this point, I'm thinking is it better to take her home where she can be in her own environment with her friend, and have whatever good moments she has left, and let things happen naturally? Or is it better to take away what good moments she may have left, so that she doesn't have to suffer? I know the answer, I just can't bring myself to do it!

FurMommy
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:13 am

It's not an easy decision but it's not one we can make for you either. Only you, with the help of your vet, can decide if she still has some good times left to her or if she would just be needlessly suffering in pain. Keep in mind pain meds can help, but sometimes they're not enough. And they won't help at all with her struggle to breath. (((Hugs)))

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:03 am

She is your mouse. None of us can make the decision for you. It is something you must decide on your own. Go with your gut.

CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FurMommy on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:58 pm

So, we ended up deciding to help stop her suffering. It was, by far, the hardest decision I've ever had to make, and the worst day of my life. I've gone through losing my mother when I was just 18 years old, and watching my oldest brother suffer through 2 different cancers, only to end up on life support at 39 years old, while we had to decide when it was time to end another being's life. Shortry after that, my dog that I had for 13 years, that I raised from a puppy since I was 17, ended up with pancreatitis and pneumonia, on all types of meds and machines, $5,000 later and still lost her. All of that, and still this was the worst. Watching her perk up a bit, just enough to crawl over to me and take a treat. That made the decision much harder, seeing that she still had good moments left. Also, not knowing if she was suffering and how much. The vet we ended up taking her to was the one that I've had issues with, so I had a harder time trusting what they were telling me. Which was why I reached out to you guys. Ultimately, it was what I could see with my own eyes, and not what I was being told, that made the decision for me. She clearly was not feeling well. The whole time at the vet, instead of trying to crawl out of her travel cage since the door was wide open, she just slept. Even when they put her in oxygen for a while, she still didn't feel well enough. Crunchie was always the crazy one of the 3 mice I have. She would never sit still, constantly running and climbing. Even just a week ago, at her regular vet, she was trying to escape her cage and climbing everywhere. That all by itself told me how bad she must be feeling. Also, a huge concern I had, was the bleeding. If I had chose to bring her home, and that happened again, it probably would have killed her. I took with me to the vet the paper towel that had SOME of the blood on it, and the vet was shocked. I told them that wasn't even all the blood, that most of it ended up on me, and I washed it off. Seeing how weak she was just after the bleeding stopped, I have no doubt it would have killed her if it happened again. Also, how fast the mass grew, just in the past week. Plus, the fact that the vet believed that it had spread internally to her chest because her breathing was so heavy and hard. All of these things I could see for myself and didn't need the vet to tell me. I think it was so hard to make a decision because of how fast it all happened. Her regular vet, a week ago, told me she had a few weeks left. I thought we were just taking her to have the bleeding checked out, and would be taking her back home. Within a half hour, everything changed. So I think I always knew the right thing to do, I just needed some time to accept it. I still question though whether it would have been better to bring her home where she could be comfortable in her own environment, and let things happen naturally. The vet was sure that would have only prolonged her suffering. They could have given her some good pain meds, but getting her to take the meds wouldn't have been easy, and because she was in pain and having difficulty breathing normally, it would have caused her anxiety and only made things worse for her. I suppose it's only natural to question whether it was the right thing to do, even when you know in your heart that it was.

FurMommy
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top