Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Cage Calculator
Find out how many mice will fit in your cage or tank.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Sick mouse... need advice

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sick mouse... need advice

Post by CinnamonPearl on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:09 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's such a terrible decision to make, and I really think you're so strong for getting through it. Crunchie is in peace now, but take as much time to mourn her as you need. *Hugs.*

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:26 am

It's never an easy decision to make. If it helps at all, from everything you've described, I would have made the same call if it were my mouse. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mouse12
CallaLily

Aquarius Dreaming

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by FurMommy on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:16 am

Thank you all, so very much. Honestly, it does help to know that others would have made the same decision. I've never had to make that decision before, fortunately, and I truly hope to never have to make it again. I've always thought "why can't we just take them home, give them some good pain meds, and let things happen naturally?". Since that wasn't an option, not without further hurting her or traumatizing her, I truly believe it was the right thing to do. I was talking to my sister throughout the whole ordeal, and one thing she said that really helped to make up my mind, was one thing I've never been able to tolerate is an animal suffering. I knew then what I had to do, just needed to accept it. I knew she was suffering, and would only suffer more if I chose to bring her home. She may have had some comfort being in her own environment, but knowing her suffering would only get worse, and not knowing how long she would have to suffer for... I just couldn't do that to her. As hard as it was, I am grateful to have been able to spare her any more pain. And I really can't say enough how grateful I am to all of you for your help and advice throughout all of this. I am especially grateful that you guys convinced me to try re-introducing my 2 girls once more. It worked out wonderfully, and I'm so happy that in her last days, she had a friend by her side. Thank you all!!!

FurMommy
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:36 am

I've thankfully never been in a situation where I've been forced to make the decision you did, but there was a time where I did have to ask myself whether or not to euthanize one of my mice. It was very hard, because I had only one day to decide before her veterinarian was leaving for vacation, and the only way to have the procedure done after that would be to bring her into the office, while I would only ever have an animal euthanized at home if I can help it. What I'm trying to say is all of us have been in your shoes in some shape or form. Such is the way when you keep animals, especially ones who are so short-lived and delicate. We're here for you!

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:44 am

I'm very sorry for your loss. I always struggle with the decision to euthanize at the end. I don't know why it haunts me so terribly. It haunts me whether or not I do it, it seems. My heart goes out to you. As others have said, based on what you described...I would have done the same thing. When there is no hope and the animal is in pain, it is the humane thing to do. I always try to take myself out of the equation. For instance, if I found this animal outside in this condition, would I want to help it recover or would I be inclined to put it out of it's misery? The answer always seems to clear when my heart is not involved.

I just lost a very special hamster a few days ago, so I grieve with you. I'm a so heartbroken. These little critters burrow deep into our hearts...

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FurMommy on Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:07 am

Thank you all, for your kind words! Scaredymouse... I love what you said... "these little critters burrow deep into our hearts". That is so very true! People think I'm crazy, saying "it's just a mouse" and "normal people are afraid of those things and set traps out to kill them". They really have no idea just how attached you get to these little guys! Even my mother-in-law gave me a hug and said she was sorry for my loss, and then laughed

FurMommy
Jr Member
Jr Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top