Useful Links
Forum Rules
Please read the forum rules before posting. If you have any questions, contact a moderator.

Pet Mouse Info
Links to help you find all the care info threads throughout the forum.

Contact
Use this link if you need to get in touch with the administration team without an account.

FAQ (forum)
Frequently Asked Questions about the forum.

Vetective™
Vetective™ is "a community-driven exotic mammal veterinarian locator and review service."

Pet Adoption
ChatBox

Getting Rid of Mice

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Getting Rid of Mice

Post by Andorrici on Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:57 pm

Hello, I've made the final decision to give away my four mice. It's come to the point where all of them fight eachother. There is no combination of them I can put together without fighting. Blood is drawn so I know it's serious. I tried to put my hand in between the fighting mice to stop them, but then it bit me. It really hurt so I can just imagine how bad it hurts them to be bit. They are all alone in different containers, but that's a terrible way to live. I don't want to sell them on craigslist or give them back to ACE because they'll just end up as snake food, and I would hate to do that. My parents are angry at them for stinking and fighting eachother anyway so I've made the choice. What option do I have to get rid of them other than releasing them or selling them as food?

Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Worried

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting Rid of Mice

Post by EverythingAnimal on Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Oh no, I'm so sorry it had to come to this. Look for shelters, even if it looks like they only take cats or dogs, ask. Even then at the slelter you would have to make sure they live apart, which usually could make the whole experiance even worse for the girls. What a hard situation. I'm sure someone else has more advice. Anyone on here in Florida? I know Petco and Petsmart somtimes (but rarley) take in small animals too, are those stores in your area?

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:21 pm

Do not release your pet mice!!! That's not even an option. It's so terribly awful and cruel, to them AND to the environment. They'd seriously be better off being fed to a snake.

You could take a look at Craigslist, ask for a small rehoming fee and explain that the new owners would need to take the time to work things out. Or try a shelter. Perhaps there's someone you know who would be willing to take them on? As a last resort, I'd try to take them back to Ace rather than give them away as food.

Are you sure you're not interested in trying to make things work out for them? I bet we could help you come up with some plans to try. Smile
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andorrici on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:03 pm

My mom and dad insist that they were going to kill eachother anyway so being fed to a snake is fine? They also said they'd do fine in the wild. I don't believe it for a minute.
They seem glad I'm getting rid of them. I'm devastated. I'm not going to keep them and i'm probably going to try and give them back to ACE as soon as possible and try not to think about it.
My parents won't drive me to a Petco or petsmart so ACE will have to do, but those are sold as feeders. My mom won't even THINK about trying a shelter.
If they are fed to snakes, will it hurt them? I know they'll be scared but would it last long? Agh..

Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Worried

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Try what you can to convince your parents of an alternative. Driving a little to ensure a quality life for an animal is definetly worth it, so is walking into a shelter, paying a small surrendering fee if they have one, and walking away. In my opinon, untill you can convince your parents of this, don't get any more mice or even any more pets. Mice are a responibility no different from a dog or cat, and even though they're 3 inches long and cost around $2, should be treated with the same respect. Realeasing them is a gaurunteed miserable, slow death, so if ACE is your only option, take it.

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:39 pm

Alright, I'm going to address your concerns about taking them back to ACE. First, there is the possibility that someone will take them as pets... you did! Second, if they are sold to someone as feeders, there are two possible scenarios. If they are placed in with the snake live, generally speaking, it is pretty quick. Unfortunately, getting eaten is the fate of many mice, wild or domestic. The other thing that may happen is that the buyer may humanely euthanize them before feeding to the reptile. So, I just wanted to mention this to let you know that just because they may be sold as feeders doesn't mean that they will be fed live.

I also want to reiterate, do NOT release them into the wild. It is bad for the environment and a fate worse than death for the mouse. Florida folks like your parents should know how bad releasing animals is....look at all the gigantic non-native pythons you guys have slithering around that were released by owners that couldn't take care of them!

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:06 pm

@scaredymouse wrote:Alright, I'm going to address your concerns about taking them back to ACE.  First, there is the possibility that someone will take them as pets... you did!  Second, if they are sold to someone as feeders, there are two possible scenarios.  If they are placed in with the snake live, generally speaking, it is pretty quick.  Unfortunately, getting eaten is the fate of many mice, wild or domestic.   The other thing that may happen is that the buyer may humanely euthanize them before feeding to the reptile.  So, I just wanted to mention this to let you know that just because they may be sold as feeders doesn't mean that they will be fed live.

I also want to reiterate, do NOT release them into the wild.  It is bad for the environment and a fate worse than death for the mouse.  Florida folks like your parents should know how bad releasing animals is....look at all the gigantic non-native pythons you guys have slithering around that were released by owners that couldn't take care of them!
harming mice discussed:
Well, there is another slim possibility if it gets sold as a feeder, in that the mouse gets inhumanely euthanized. Not a very likely scenario but it does happen as there are plenty of stupid and irresponsible pet owners out there as well as well-meaning but horribly misinformed people. I have heard of people doing things like putting the mouse in a plastic bag and beating it against a hard surface until it stops moving or putting a mouse in a bag and then hitting it with a rubber mallet.

There's also the possibility of being fed to something to an animal doesn't kill all that quickly or painlessly, such as a monitor lizard, frog, or god forbid a centipede.

I say your best bet would be a shelter. It's not the best place for a mouse to be, but they'll be better cared for there than in a pet store, and you'll know that they won't be ending up as feeders if someone does in fact take them. Personally, I'd just try straight up refusing to give them up if they don't take you to a shelter. If they want the mice gone that bad, they can put some goddamn effort in.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Sarah (PEW), and Selina (Broken Black)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW) and Lucy (Brindle)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Andorrici on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:28 am

The best possible thing for them has happened, they HAVE been returned to ACE, but we know the man there and he is not going to sell them as feeders since they've been pets! So I AM getting one female rat and my four mice will be safe until someone buys them as pets. Smile Thanks for the advice, but I still need tips on rat care.
Of course, I am sad they are gone but I think they'll be happier there.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Worried

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy on Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:08 am

You can ask for rat info in the member's lounge, but I'm certain that rats are also social and you'll need to get at least two of whichever sex you get, males or females.

I would do A LOT of research into care AND any problems that arise, and then make sure that your parents understand and are open to properly caring for another pet. It's unfair to get pets and then just get rid of them like this.
Peachy

Dancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:59 pm

Peachy is correct: rats do need companions and also need quite a lot of habitat space (at least 28x14x17) and daily time outside their cage. They are very smart animals and can be tamed fairly easily if you take the time to work with them.

MesaMouse

Libra Amused

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:36 pm

Judging by how your parents have reacted to these mice, getting a rat just sounds like asking for more problems and will complicate the life of whatever animal you take in. Are you allowed to get more than one? Are you allowed to take her to the vet? if no to even one of those questions, spare the poor animal and just don't take in any more pets until you're able to support yourself.

Check out my Etsy shop, CinnamonMouse Crochet!
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellysMom on Mon May 08, 2017 11:40 pm

why cant a mouse be let go outside? because it is used to being fed?
i am currently raising a little one from my yard. i was going to let him go when he can figure out how to eat without the syringe
KellysMom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Mon May 08, 2017 11:52 pm

That's a different situation. A rehabilitated wild mouse can safely be returned to the wild if he is healthy. But you cannot release a domesticated mouse from a pet store into the wild. They don't have the skills to survive and they introduce illness/genetic issues into the wild population.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellysMom on Tue May 09, 2017 10:02 pm

how will MY mouse learn skills, ? i feel bad for him and me too, cuz i have no time for him long term, but i could not leave him to die Sad
KellysMom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! on Tue May 09, 2017 10:08 pm

@KellysMom wrote:how will MY mouse learn skills, ? i feel bad for him and me too, cuz i have no time  for him long term, but i could not leave him to die Sad

Are you talking about a domestic mouse or a wild mouse?
Rodents rock!

Aries Caffeine Fix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top