How to help a friend with anxiety?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to help a friend with anxiety?

Post by Artistwolf on Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:58 pm

I've got this online friend who's been having extreme anxiety recently, to the point where she says she literally hasn't been able to eat anything for the last three days. I suggested she stay with a friend zero get away from the cause of the anxiety (which I won't mention due to privacy reasons), but she says she doesn't really have any her age around. But now she has contacted a workmate and he's going to fetch her and they'll go to the workplace and chat a bit. I just want to help and I don't know how. I can't even really relate because I love food and don't get extreme anxiety or depression. Help?

(I'm currently donating 25% of proceeds to my local low-cost spay/neuter clinic!)
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

View user profile http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How to help a friend with anxiety?

Post by AnonONIagent on Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:09 pm

It really depends on the source of the anxiety. Speaking as someone with a pretty bad anxiety disorder, the best way to deal with anxiety is to suck it up and face the source of your anxiety head on. Barring that, the next best solution is to see a psychiatrist who can either prescribe anti-anxiety medications or can refer you to a therapist to help you learn ways to cope.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Sarah (PEW), and Selina (Broken Black)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW) and Lucy (Brindle)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:41 pm

I guess since I'm not mentioning names, I can give you a vague idea of what's going on. Basically, her father is a bit weird (apparently: "there's a lot you don't know about him") and he's come and is kinda hanging around their house and stuff. Last time he came knocking, she literally panicked and passed out, so yeah.
Yeah, I guess that's all I really can do. It sounds like that's her plan anyway. I just want to help her so badly.

(I'm currently donating 25% of proceeds to my local low-cost spay/neuter clinic!)
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:05 pm

@Artistwolf wrote:I guess since I'm not mentioning names, I can give you a vague idea of what's going on. Basically, her father is a bit weird (apparently: "there's a lot you don't know about him") and he's come and is kinda hanging around their house and stuff. Last time he came knocking, she literally panicked and passed out, so yeah.
Yeah, I guess that's all I really can do. It sounds like that's her plan anyway. I just want to help her so badly.
Hm, I can see how that's a tough situation. But I would like to mention that if she feels she might be in legitimate danger, that's not anxiety, that's actual legitimate fear, and she needs to tell someone she trusts and who can help how she feels. Something like a teacher or even law enforcement. Anxiety is typically an irrational fear, such as worrying about things that are either impossible or very unlikely to happen, or worrying about things that are simply inconveniencing to an irrational degree.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Sarah (PEW), and Selina (Broken Black)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW) and Lucy (Brindle)
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

View user profile http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse on Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:22 am

I'm getting the impression here that her father has done something to make her feel that way. That's different that your garden variety anxiety. Like for instance, I'm scared of sharks. So much so that I don't even like to be on boats. But, it's an irrational fear. So, I just get on the boat anyway. But it sounds like your friend is fearful like Anon mentioned.

The best thing you can do for your friend is be there if she needs to talk. I'm not even going to speculate as to what caused her to feel that way about her father but I'm fairly certain there is a reason. She would benefit greatly from talking to someone like a therapist. But for now, just be there for her and encourage her to talk to a professional. Without more information, I don't know what else to suggest. But clearly something serious is going on and she is suffering as a result of it. I hope her father goes away soon.

About the eating, I have been so depressed that I can't eat. During those times, I drink ensure. Its a meal replacement drink you can get at the grocery store. We give them to people who need extra calories at the hospital. It's kind of expensive, but it's the closest thing to food you can get. I think vanilla is the best.

Other pets: Maya, Kevin (cats), Murray, Sherberta, Gunther, Dustin, Lidiya, Chip, Squiggy, Nina, (hamsters), Chloe and Zoey (chinchillas)
Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie.
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:55 am

@AnonONIagent wrote:But I would like to mention that if she feels she might be in legitimate danger, that's not anxiety, that's actual legitimate fear, and she needs to tell someone she trusts and who can help how she feels. Something like a teacher or even law enforcement. Anxiety is typically an irrational fear, such as worrying about things that are either impossible or very unlikely to happen, or worrying about things that are simply inconveniencing to an irrational degree.

I agree with this.

Twix, Bacon, Hashbrown, Daryl, Cheeseburger,
Seren, Celyn, and Hazel
CallaLily

Aquarius Wishful

View user profile https://www.instagram.com/suz_eliz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf on Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:37 am

Thank you, guys. Mm, that's true, we're not really dealing with average anxiety here. I honestly don't know much more than what I've told you, so it puts me in a slightly harder situation. Anyway, she talked to an adult friend last night and it sounds like she's doing a little better. Great idea with the ensure, Scaredy. I'll mention that.

Artistwolf

Aries Busy

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top