Hey, can mice breed through the bars of a cage?

Go down

Hey, can mice breed through the bars of a cage?

Post by dragonmyst on Sun 01 Jan 2017, 9:45 am

I kept my last mouse in a cage, and we had issues with wild mice every so often. That's the main reason I got a terrarium this time. But I was wondering, can mice breed through the bars of a cage? Was it possible that Mr. Jingles sired a bunch of mice behind my back? I never really considered that before now. I would have never known because I had the male, not the female. Have any of you had accidental babies from mice getting too close to the cage?
dragonmyst
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Bookworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey, can mice breed through the bars of a cage?

Post by Peachy on Sun 01 Jan 2017, 11:53 am

I've heard stories of mice mating and fighting through bars, but I keep my barred cages out of reach of everything that's not me, so we haven't had any problems. lol

I wouldn't expect a female wild mouse to mate with a domestic male though. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see it. Razz
Peachy

Scorpio Mellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal on Sun 01 Jan 2017, 12:14 pm

I don't think that would happen either, but the wild mouse would probably be small enough to get through the bars anyway. That's what happens when you get babies from a wild male and domestic female, but I haven't heard of the other way around.

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonmyst on Sun 01 Jan 2017, 1:18 pm

After the first time I found evidence of them fighting, I took him to the vet and lined every inch around his cage with live catch traps, but I never really considered that he might have fathered some mice as well as gotten into fights with rival males. And I don't think they could get through the bars. The injures were only on parts of him they could reach through the cages, so I don't think wild mice could have fit through there. Once, i acidentally nudged the non lethal traps aside before work and they got to him again, but after that it never happened again. Mr. Jengles turned out to be the best bait for traps, btw. I dont know how often I kept re catching the same ones, but he kept drawing them in. Are female mice that much smaller than males?
dragonmyst
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Bookworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down